Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:11 am 

Hi demus.

If you set the adjustable timing mark to match left rotor mark at 3.13 mm btdc, and program your zeel to 23 degrees........what static angle do you have to put into your zeel to strobe the mark at exactly the 3,13 mark you just made?

Thing is: If you have to program the static to, let's say, 26.1 degrees, to match the 3.13mm mark (23 degrees btdc) with a strpoboscope, then YOU KNOW the static should be 26.1!!

And you have to do the same thing on all 3 cylinders, as the crank not necessarily is 120 degrees apart. Mine crank is almost 4 degrees off on right cylinder compared to left and center. (about 0,5mm difference btdc, don't remember)

That's like mother kawi did their cranks back then......pretty normal

Jørgen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 am 

Hi Jorgen,
Are you using the handheld programer or a computer?
I don't know if it makes a difference I just couldn't get the Zeel to fire past whatever static angle I set in the programer.
So if I set it at 23.5 and I had my mark at 23.5 it fired at 23.5 with the flat curve at 23.5 deg
When I set the static angle on the programer to 27 deg static and a flat curve at 27 deg it fired between the 25 and 30 deg mark.
It would not let me program a flat curve beyond the static angle setting in the Zeel programer.
So I had to change the static angle setting and the flat curve to get it to advance.
I also tried a changing curve and the strobe showed it advancing and retarding to the settings I had programed, which had a simple curve from 15 deg to 27 deg back to 15 deg.

I want to check closely to see if it really is at 27deg
I didn't have the time on that day to play with it any more. I want to try 30deg and see if it fires at 30deg

I will try the way you did it next time and report back!
It may be a few weeks though we are moving our business NOT FUN :crazy:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:01 am 
Site Admin

The Zeel can't advance the timing, only retard it. If you want 30, you will need at least 30 static.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:27 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
The Zeel can't advance the timing, only retard it. If you want 30, you will need at least 30 static.

+1 on that John
That's why I need to be more accurate to see I know it's above 25 deg but by how much I'm unsure.. but it's not 30! Yet...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Then set to zero, move the pointer to match and then measure with a dial indicator. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:51 am 

Hi again.

And stick to the handheld programmer, the PC program is not needed at all. I have not even started the program once. All you ever need is on the handheld programmer.

And as John said: Max advance is same as static angle.

And remember: To Ensure 23 is 23, you MUST Ensure static angle is SAME as mechanical angle on motor.

So: Program Your zeel to a flat 23.

Make the 3.13mm (23degrees) measurement, and make Your mark so you know exactly where the 23 degrees is.

Then.......fire it up, and adjust STATIC ANGLE ON YOUR ZEEL ALL THE WAY UNTIL YOU HIT THE VALUE THAT GIVE YOU THE CORRECT STROBOSCOPE 23 DEGREE AS YOU ALREADY HAVE MEASURED VIA THE 3.13MM. You will see Your timing is moving as you adjust Your static on the zeel!!!!!
And leave all those spreadshirts or whatever you call it, you DO nOT NEED IT!

AND DO EXACTLY THE SAME PROCEDURE ON ALL 3 CYLINDERS,AS YOUR CRANK MOST LIKELY IS NOT 120 DEGREES APART
Jørgen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:24 pm 

Jorgen, Thanks for the info on the controller I have to really look closely at the directions and play with it some more to be comfortable with using it.

So when you strobe yours the mark aligns with the with the static angle you mechanically marked on your rotor?
Does the strobe show the motor firing on that mark you set at 23 deg (3.13mm) Or does it show the advance taking place?

If the strobe fires at the point of the crank being at 23 deg wether not the Zeel says something different the motor is still firing at 23 deg….correct?

If I set the Zeel at 23 deg static the programer just didn't want to let me set any curve above that point.
I am probably doing something wrong, I can't wait to play with it some more :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

demus wrote:

If I set the Zeel at 23 deg static the programer just didn't want to let me set any curve above that point.

I'm not understanding this, what do you mean by above that point? If you are setting the Zeel at 23 degrees, then you are now at 0, as you are delaying the timing 23 degrees. To get 23 you set the Zeel at 0.

You are going to glaze the cylinders with all this. I would unplug the Zeel, set the timing at 23, strap on the Go Pro, do some burn outs, and wheelies for a couple of hundred miles, and then fiddle with that damn thing. At this point, I don't think I want to even bother with mine......... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:29 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
I would unplug the Zeel, set the timing at 23, strap on the Go Pro, do some burn outs, and wheelies for a couple of hundred miles, and then fiddle with that damn thing. At this point, I don't think I want to even bother with mine.........
Ja-Moo wrote:
demus wrote:

You are going to glaze the cylinders with all this. I would unplug the Zeel, set the timing at 23, strap on the Go Pro, do some burn outs, and wheelies for a couple of hundred miles, and then fiddle with that damn thing. At this point, I don't think I want to even bother with mine…...... :roll:

Im not at 0!! Trust me its firing at 23 deg BTDC if thats where I set the curve at, and I had it firing at just over 25 BTDC.
You can set the timing as you like as long as its retarded from the full advance amount. Which you already know :thumbup: :)
I followed the Zeel instructions and have e-mailed both Borat and Jim H, both have given solid advice for set up and I do believe I did it that way :thumbup:
Im not running it again until I can take it out and flog it properly, which will be a few weeks!! All I did was check the timing with a light and tried a few experiments. I know enough now to set it to run and then play with the darn thing latter!!

Set it up your just the guy to do a how to video!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:54 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
demus wrote:

I'm not understanding this, what do you mean by above that point? If you are setting the Zeel at 23 degrees, then you are now at 0, as you are delaying the timing 23 degrees. To get 23 you set the Zeel at 0.

You are going to glaze the cylinders with all this. I would unplug the Zeel, set the timing at 23, strap on the Go Pro, do some burn outs, and wheelies for a couple of hundred miles, and then fiddle with that damn thing. At this point, I don't think I want to even bother with mine......... :roll:

"If you are setting the Zeel at 23 degrees, then you are now at 0, as you are delaying the timing 23 degrees. To get 23 you set the Zeel at 0."

What do you mean by this???

If you have been runnuing with stock ignition 23 degrees static, all you have to do is set the static angle on zeel to 23 degrees, and also set the firing point to 23 degrees.
Then you have the exact same ignition timings as a stock ignition, exept for the build in -<4000 rpm ignition advance you have with stock iggy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next