Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

motometal wrote:
It could be that even though relatively weak, it's enough to do the job but I would think a stronger field would be more stable and consistent. Modern neo magnets are likely available in similar size.

It would be interesting to find out. I would think , uneducately so, that the stronger magnet would have a bigger field to give a signal, and it would just set off the signal farther away from the pick up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:27 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
motometal wrote:
It could be that even though relatively weak, it's enough to do the job but I would think a stronger field would be more stable and consistent. Modern neo magnets are likely available in similar size.

It would be interesting to find out. I would think , uneducately so, that the stronger magnet would have a bigger field to give a signal, and it would just set off the signal farther away from the pick up.

That is my uneducated guess also.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:16 pm 

Quote:
All good info and I'll make use of it some day...thanks

but...I think you missed the point of my post...I'm asking if anyone has played with the rotor, the pc. with the magnets in it...if I understand correctly, this is what triggers the Zeel system to spark. It could be that even though relatively weak, it's enough to do the job but I would think a stronger field would be more stable and consistent. Modern neo magnets are likely available in similar size.

Motmetal.........the Zeel is a CPU computer based system........all it needs is a trigger from the pickups and that's all..........no relation to signal or pickup power\strength as long as it just triggers the unit for a cylinder (as long as the pickup's are good and gaped properly) ..........it's all isolated after that and handled by the CPU\Program and Internal CDI on the PCDI-30

As Demus stated.........it no longer uses the high\low speed coils.........that triangular 3 prong connector is not used in the Zeel and is spared back

What it does require is good +12 volt current and a big 10 gauge ground wire from the main ground under the seat to the bottom of the engine.......I use Jim's Super Regulator and a good AGM battery to keep from spiking it........use the BROWN wire which is switched +12 volt (goes to the rear brake switch and all over the bike)......and Iridium plugs with a 5K resistor (to reduce EMI)........BR9HIX

THX Phil :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:06 pm 

I don't know too much but the pickups are Hall effect sensors (I think)
And as such the magnetic affect triggers the pickup. I have had different results setting the static angle than others.
And I believe the there could be a corilation between the magnetitism and the pickups or possibly a bit more resistance in the pickups that could cause differences between different bikes. Basically wear and tear.

But this is totally unproven.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:14 pm 

Quote:
I don't know too much but the pickups are Hall effect sensors (I think)
And as such the magnetic affect triggers the pickup. I have had different results setting the static angle than others.
And I believe the there could be a corilation between the magnetitism and the pickups or possibly a bit more resistance in the pickups that could cause differences between different bikes. Basically wear and tear.

Demus........I would agree with that mostly..........just the gap alone affects when it triggers..........weak or strong magnets could effect it too

I believe they are just a winding wrapped around a piece of iron.........no electronics

I was looking at the wiring diagram for the Hall Effect Pickups........looks like they take a +12 power source and are electronic

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/ele ... ffect.html

Well anyways........just adjust the Zeel with the timing light\dial indicator to compensate.........a trigger is a trigger........as long as it's stable

THX Phil :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:04 am 

BBP wrote:
Demus........I would agree with that mostly..........just the gap alone affects when it triggers..........weak or strong magnets could effect it too

I believe they are just a winding wrapped around a piece of iron.........no electronics

I was looking at the wiring diagram for the Hall Effect Pickups........looks like they take a +12 power source and are electronic

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/ele ... ffect.html

Well anyways........just adjust the Zeel with the timing light\dial indicator to compensate.........a trigger is a trigger........as long as it's stable

THX Phil :thumb:

Good stuff Phil :thumbup:
I understand just enough to cause myself trouble.
But how good the magnet is in the signal generator pickup and, I don't know the proper terms, either impedance or resistance ??? of the pick up coils and or wires may (or may not) explain a few things that I have encountered.

I have advanced my signal pickup rotor so that it will allow my static angle to be somewhere between 30 and 35 deg, once I get it all back together and running that is!
Then I will find out if my experiment will work. From what others have posted I think it will.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:39 am 

I am gonna do same as you did Joe, with my rotor.

When do you have your cylinders back, ready for testing?

Jørgen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:34 am 

jyrgNorway wrote:
I am gonna do same as you did Joe, with my rotor.

When do you have your cylinders back, ready for testing?

Jørgen

Good question! I hope soon!
Right now I am so swamped here at work my time is limited anyway, I also have to get the rear shock stuff done.
I am hoping to have it all back together and running by April.....But I need to get parts back.
I am excited to try it and see how it all works.

A bit more info in my investigation of this mod I came across a lot of info saying not to advance the PCDI-30 past 45 deg static, not that anyone would just posting what I read :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:38 am 

Good morning.
The quote from Phil below helps a bunch. My question is, are the advance single channel 1,2 and 3 specific to L,C and R.
Thanks!
Bill

Thats why I put my TAB at 3.13mm .124" to the casting line on the rotor L Just like a stock setup, mark a dot in the center of the rotor bolt so you are not at an angle with timing light

Plate and pickups all the way to the right

Zeel static angle set at 27 on my bike
Zeel advance (for the whole system at 0)
8 curves......each set at 23 flat
fire it up, move your static angle + or - only till it lines up perfect with the strobe and TAB which is L
then do C and R individual......I had -.7 and - 1.2 and 0.....you will see it with the strobe
then you are set
now you can program a MAP up to whatever your static angle is set to (27 on my bike)
5.27mm on the rotor is 10 degrees, then add some marks if desired to watch it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 am 

Yes, I believe in that order. Thats how you get each cylinder spot on.
I am sure Phil or Jorgen will chime in, they can really run you thru the process, without there help I would have been a bit confused :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next