Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:21 am 

Tag for later.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:54 am 

Anybody know if the Zeel triggers on pos or neg going waveform?

Is it zero crossing trigger after a prior "armed" polarity?

thanx!

cliff

i.e.
HEI modules need a positive pick-up signal at least 0.1 volts to arm the firing sequence.
When the pick-up reverses, it waits for the voltage to go thru zero to trigger the spark.

:?:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:14 am 

I don't have a Zeel system, but until an owner comes along... The stock H2 system triggers on a positive pulse, and stock wiring makes the signal generator output go positive first, then negative. If the Zeel were to trigger on a negative pulse, it would retard the trigger point significantly, which would be counterproductive to a system that requires that you set static timing more advanced than the standard setting. This makes me reasonably certain the Zeel system triggers on a positive pulse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:10 pm 

"The stock H2 system triggers on a positive pulse, and stock wiring makes the signal generator output go positive first, then negative"

thanx Jim

If it does, pos trigger and positive first makes it really dependent on rpm or time it take to go from some small voltage to some positive voltage to trigger-no?

The HEI relies on the sharp transition of the magnetic reluctance from one polarity to the other-no dependency on speed-zero crossing.

I wonder because I am playing on programmable retard for the HEI(inductance)versus buying a Zeel(CDI)
Both are to be retard from max static, Zeel is based on micro second counts in the CPU's clock.

Cool Stuff no?

cliff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 pm 

That's why the H2 has advance from idle to about 4,000 RPM. As the pickup voltage increases with speed (pulse gets taller), its leading edge is steeper, so the SCRs trigger earlier. After about 4,000 RPM, the curve is so steep that the effect of advancing is about over and the timing stays constant to redline.

On a 4-stroke CDI unit I make, it gets triggered on the zero crossing, so there is little error compensation needed by the microcontroller that's providing the programmable advance curve.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:01 pm 

That's messed up.
The engine performance suffers from such non-sense.

Was Mother Kow thinking 1/2 4 strike and 1/2 simple?

So initial advance at 1000rpms advances to xx deg at 4000rpm and stays pretty much the same all the way up?

Sort of/Kind of what the manual says.

No specifics as to how much and where in RPM?

Juicy juice-electronic stuff.

Love it. c

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:11 pm 

A stock H2 advances somewhere around 3 or 4 degrees from idle to about 4,000. A larger pickup gap gives around 4, small gap as little as 2 or 3 degrees. I figure it serves mainly to help keep the engine from kicking back when you start it, because at kicking speed it's quite retarded.

An early H1 12v CDI is just about dead flat from idle to redline. They do vary a little from unit to unit though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:30 pm 

Jim
The advance we talk about is just a remands of the system.

Without zero crossing, the trigger points are at the whim of speed and air gap, which varies with rotor whip.

I think. :?

cliff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 pm 

Cliff, Jim

The Zeel has a setting for "Compensation Delay".........I am not sure exactly how it works.......maybe some sort of delay timer when it begins to see a minimal pulse...........but in the Zeel...........if you set a "Flat Map" at say 23 degree's...........it does not advance and does stay flat.........I have checked it with an Innova 3551 timing light........on the stock iggy, you could see it advance up to 4000 RPM a couple degrees

THX Phil :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:57 pm 

Quote:
it does not advance and does stay flat.........

Cliff, Jim

I will "eat my words" on that.......as I had it all apart today, I cut another slot in the trigger rotor..........so I could set my Static timing up to 44 possible.......(it was at 27 Static and 27 MAX in a curve, needs more separation between the two it appears).......at any rate, I could see a very slight advance when cracking the throttle.......then it stops early, nothing near 4000 RPM (probably the compensation delay kicking in)

THX Phil :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6