Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 am 

In the process of testing my oil pump for proper output and bleeding the lines - I ended up taking apart the pump because it was sticking when it reached the second "dot" index mark on the cam.
Attached is a photo of the cam and there appears to be some scoring/wear on the bottom and center lobes.
Also the pump makes a bit of a clicking noise/pulsating when set to the max pumping volume, which I am not completely sure is normal.
Its a H2-3 pump. 3 outlet.

Has anyone come across same symptoms? Is the scoring creating my problem? I looked in the existing forum threads and couldn't come up with anything on this.
I'll probably take a spare pump I have sitting around to look at it and see if I can trouble shoot but any info/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Side note: I've built a little test rig to run the pump off the bike (without a lathe) - using some parts from Amazon and a bit of 3D printing. It works pretty well. The output of oil seems even on all lines - all be it high because I have to run it at 1200 rpm instead of 780 rpm due to the "binding" that stalls the DC motor (not enough torque).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:48 am 

Hi Tony, welcome to the board! It looks like you posted this in the vendor's section by mistake. I'm not sure it'll get the attention is needs here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:20 pm 

Thanks @Jim - I am indeed a newbie here ... :D

I checked and its seems my post is showing where I intended it to ... at least as far as I can tell ... but I could be doing something wrong?
It doesn't show up in the vendor section when I look there.

Either way - thanks. T.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:51 pm 

One of the moderators moved it for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:13 am 
Site Admin

These pumps have shown to be 99.9% reliable, as all they run in, is fresh oil all the time. I think what you are finding is how they work in a test environment. I wouldn't worry,, but if it bugs you, switch pumps. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:34 am 

Attachment:
oil pump assy.jpg
Can you shoot a pix of the profile of the scar?
Never seen one wearing on one lobe so much.

Lifter off axis? Camshaft bore wear is probably excessive, putting cam and lifter at an angle?

cliff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:35 pm 

Thanks for the diagram and reply.
- Some additional closeups of the scoring attached.
- Measured the depth of gouge/scoring: ~0.1 mm.
- The top cam has barely a shiny trace where the edge of the plunger touches - but clearly most of it lines up with the grove for the retaining tab - so the brunt of the contact is borne by the bottom cam in my opinion.

Questions:
- Are both the cam lobes supposed to be in contact with the plunger? Maybe there is nothing abnormal with the alignment. Also the upper cam lobe is a tiny bit smaller in diameter...
- I am curious if there is supposed to be a spacer/bushing washer in the bottom of the cam shaft bore? I think there is supposed to be one in the bore for the drive worm gear - but not sure otherwise.
(its an H2-3 model btw).

I tested my backup pump which appears to be original and unmolested and doesn't appear to leak either. It does make a bit of noise, but runs much smoother (and doesn't stall my little DC motor @ 780 rpms') - It pumps a nice 7 cc of oil in 3 min from each line. So I'll be using this pump for the build instead of the buggered one.

I'd still like to figure out what is going on with this cam though, so I can salvage it if possible...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:10 pm 

Maybe some one ran pre-mix in the past, without removing the pump.......!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:06 pm 

yes ... no doubt that could have happened, given the state of the bike when I got it ... i would not be surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:19 am 

Are both the cam lobes supposed to be in contact with the plunger? Maybe there is nothing abnormal with the alignment. Also the upper cam lobe is a tiny bit smaller in diameter.

Yes. lifter rotates on the cam and is supposed to be on both cam lobes evenly, except at idle where the little nib rides on the low lift cam between the main lobes.

Ran dry while pre-mix was used is a great explanation.

No shim at bottom of camshaft.

Weird how it wore unevenly, but running dry may have worn the bores out causing cam and lifter to become off perpendicularity.

Pix #1 shows me the index flat for the bail(cable pulley) is 180° out compared to a H1?

cliff