Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 am 

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board (my first post), and looked at the schematics of the A and B CDI units for the above named bike, but, I need some info regarding the part numbers for the 2 Transistors in the "B" CD Ignitor, and the 4 diodes (appears to be a "Bridge Rectifier") in it, and the 3 capacitors. The component ID numbers are not listed in any schematics I found here in the forum, and I'm frustrated and very sad about it. :(

And, I also need the part numbers (It's an Early 1970 H1 and all I have is the SM-2 Factory Service Manual and tells me nothing about the internal part numbers) of the SCR and transistor in the "A" box, as well as the number of the zener diode and values of the 2 capacitors and the 5 resistors in the sealed unit I note in the schematic, I'd like to order the parts from an electronic supply company so I can replace ALL the components in BOTH boxes (and at least have spares with new parts in them), and dont want to break them open until I can get a parts list, I do have a feeling they are sealed in epoxy, but if anyone wants to check and rebuild some of these units for me, please contact me here and CC me please via email, with a revised/updated schematic, with the component ID parts list numbers, I've done PC board assembly for an electronics company for a few years in the past and have very good soldering skills, but after reading some of the schematic pages here, I don't have a complete component breakdown list. I'd be more than grateful for this info, or if anyone can refer me to someone who CAN open these 2 boxes and replace the parts, since capacitors go bad in time/resistors lose value, etc.., and I'm not even sure if these parts are bad after 40 years, BUT I'm having an old timer look at this bike next week to see why i cannot get spark, and I bought a used set of CDI boxes a few weeks ago, had no time to transport the bike to the mechanic yet, but I'm not sure they will work either, but in any event, if he says one of my boxes or both (or all of them are bad), I would like to rebuild them myself if I can't find anyone else to do it for me in the forum, and I'd like to keep the bike all "original" since it was my dad's bike, and he passed away long time ago and if I buy an old box from 1970, the capacitors will probably be dried up/weak or bad anyway, so I need the values presuming they wont be readable if sealed in epoxy. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and my email address is Ticket2Ride1@aol.com and I don't want to risk having the newly purchased spare units damaged so I'm taking it to a professional in case something else is wrong, like the coil under the gas tank, or loose harness wires. ( I am however bringing him copies of everything I found here too, in case it helps him any to keep my cost down).

The only thing I did DISCOVER so far was the "Ferrite Core Bar" in my B Unit fell out of the wirewound coil/transformer, and I used RTV Silicone to glue it back into the plastic coil housing because it sounded like something was rattling in it, and I still can't get spark, and I did have the bike running for 5 or 10 minutes about 12 years ago after it was transported here (laying on its side for 100 miles, might of weakened the glue) while in a FLATBED, as it was laying on it's side so maybe vibration is what made the glue holding the ferrite bar fall out of the transformer/coil, and maybe it SHORTED out to the housing which is grounded and POSSIBLY damaged both my OEM modules, so i dont want to take chances, I'm willing to restore the bike to OEM as it only has 7000 miles on it and in very BEAUTIFUL condition. He even put brand new tires on it before he passed away, but those might need replacement, too, even tho I don't see any cracks or dry rot, and just want to get it working in factory condition as he rode me around on it when I was a kid.

PLEASE, if anyone can give me a breakdown of the internal component breakdown list, or other info, I'll be so happy to restore and use a nice antique bike thats been sitting here for over a decade in a heated garage, and it breaks my heart I can't get it running, and no one wants to work on these antique bikes. I'll be bringing it to John at Cycle Craft in Oak Ridge NJ as someone told me he was working on bikes for 30+ years, coming this Friday. Chances are it will sit there for a long time as he says he's totally backed up with a ton of bikes to work on. :(

P.S. It also uses the 69-71 H1 Stator Assembly, to help clarify anyone's question of exactly which model I have because I noted there are differant types, maybe this will help an expert Tech know exactly what I have and what I need to expedite repairs as these parts are discontinued, and I want to make it like new, obviously!
P.P.S. When I turn the key, it still makes that high pitched "weeeeeee" sound, but that probably wont guarantee Unit B is good anyway, not sure, I'm not the expert. :(
Casey in North New Jersey here, .....And thanks everyone who reads this or who can help me get these boxes refurbished to "New" condition with updated components inside of them at a reasonable cost. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 am 

Ticket2Ride1 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board (my first post), and looked at the schematics of the A and B CDI units for the above named bike, but, I need some info regarding the part numbers for the 2 Transistors in the "B" CD Ignitor, and the 4 diodes (appears to be a "Bridge Rectifier") in it, and the 3 capacitors. The component ID numbers are not listed in any schematics I found here in the forum, and I'm frustrated and very sad about it. :(

And, I also need the part numbers (It's an Early 1970 H1 and all I have is the SM-2 Factory Service Manual and tells me nothing about the internal part numbers) of the SCR and transistor in the "A" box, as well as the number of the zener diode and values of the 2 capacitors and the 5 resistors in the sealed unit I note in the schematic, I'd like to order the parts from an electronic supply company so I can replace ALL the components in BOTH boxes (and at least have spares with new parts in them), and dont want to break them open until I can get a parts list, I do have a feeling they are sealed in epoxy, but if anyone wants to check and rebuild some of these units for me, please contact me here and CC me please via email, with a revised/updated schematic, with the component ID parts list numbers, I've done PC board assembly for an electronics company for a few years in the past and have very good soldering skills, but after reading some of the schematic pages here, I don't have a complete component breakdown list. I'd be more than grateful for this info, or if anyone can refer me to someone who CAN open these 2 boxes and replace the parts, since capacitors go bad in time/resistors lose value, etc.., and I'm not even sure if these parts are bad after 40 years, BUT I'm having an old timer look at this bike next week to see why i cannot get spark, and I bought a used set of CDI boxes a few weeks ago, had no time to transport the bike to the mechanic yet, but I'm not sure they will work either, but in any event, if he says one of my boxes or both (or all of them are bad), I would like to rebuild them myself if I can't find anyone else to do it for me in the forum, and I'd like to keep the bike all "original" since it was my dad's bike, and he passed away long time ago and if I buy an old box from 1970, the capacitors will probably be dried up/weak or bad anyway, so I need the values presuming they wont be readable if sealed in epoxy. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and my email address is Ticket2Ride1@aol.com and I don't want to risk having the newly purchased spare units damaged so I'm taking it to a professional in case something else is wrong, like the coil under the gas tank, or loose harness wires. ( I am however bringing him copies of everything I found here too, in case it helps him any to keep my cost down).

The only thing I did DISCOVER so far was the "Ferrite Core Bar" in my B Unit fell out of the wirewound coil/transformer, and I used RTV Silicone to glue it back into the plastic coil housing because it sounded like something was rattling in it, and I still can't get spark, and I did have the bike running for 5 or 10 minutes about 12 years ago after it was transported here (laying on its side for 100 miles, might of weakened the glue) while in a FLATBED, as it was laying on it's side so maybe vibration is what made the glue holding the ferrite bar fall out of the transformer/coil, and maybe it SHORTED out to the housing which is grounded and POSSIBLY damaged both my OEM modules, so i dont want to take chances, I'm willing to restore the bike to OEM as it only has 7000 miles on it and in very BEAUTIFUL condition. He even put brand new tires on it before he passed away, but those might need replacement, too, even tho I don't see any cracks or dry rot, and just want to get it working in factory condition as he rode me around on it when I was a kid.

PLEASE, if anyone can give me a breakdown of the internal component breakdown list, or other info, I'll be so happy to restore and use a nice antique bike thats been sitting here for over a decade in a heated garage, and it breaks my heart I can't get it running, and no one wants to work on these antique bikes. I'll be bringing it to John at Cycle Craft in Oak Ridge NJ as someone told me he was working on bikes for 30+ years, coming this Friday. Chances are it will sit there for a long time as he says he's totally backed up with a ton of bikes to work on. :(

P.S. It also uses the 69-71 H1 Stator Assembly, to help clarify anyone's question of exactly which model I have because I noted there are differant types, maybe this will help an expert Tech know exactly what I have and what I need to expedite repairs as these parts are discontinued, and I want to make it like new, obviously!
P.P.S. When I turn the key, it still makes that high pitched "weeeeeee" sound, but that probably wont guarantee Unit B is good anyway, not sure, I'm not the expert. :(
Casey in North New Jersey here, .....And thanks everyone who reads this or who can help me get these boxes refurbished to "New" condition with updated components inside of them at a reasonable cost. Cheers!

Try disconnecting the GREY wire, then switch key on. If the B unit now buzzes, the A box is faulty. Around 300 volts DC should be available at the GREY wire from the B box if functioning correctly. If this is the case, then reconnect the GREY and disconnect the LIGHT BLUE. If the unit stops squeeling, the B box is faulty, with a shorted discharge capacitor.
Check out these links: :)
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/cdiearly/earlycditest.htm
If your units are toast, I can rebuild these back to original. See:
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/starfire/EarlyH1rebuild.htm
A more cost effective replacement is here:
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/starfire/Mark2/ZXmk2.htm
Also check out the excellent resource page.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 am 

The two transistors on top of the "B" unit are 2N3055s and are probably readily availabe from any good electronics shop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:59 pm 

Some times its good to try the units on a running bike