Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solid Filled Handlebars
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 pm 

Which models in the H2 Series had the solid filled weighted handlebars and are they hard to find? How difficult is it to straighten slightly bent handlebars? Can most platers do it while the job is in for re-chroming? If I'm lucky enough to find some they'll probably be bent. :shock:

3 H2's, all stock
Seats by Tony O'Connor, they're gorgeous
H2B, converted to H2C
75 Paint & Decals by Brian H
75 Euro Seat by Tony O'Connor
Eldorado Motorcycle Seats, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 pm 

I can tell you (from my experience) that the early H2 had lead weighted bars, but I think that they all did. I think that 2 or 3" at each end of the bars was weighted. I always ran narrow flat bars, and they felt no worse,vibration wise, than the originals. If your engine is tight in the frame, and the timing and carbs are correct/balanced, weighting of the bars is not a big factor. Don't like the high bars myself, but we are all different!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 am 

I think the later ones are modded with 2 welds as the old type used to fail.....RB would be able to confirm this.
Got my weighted bars off ebay, had them rechromed and they look great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 am 

RODH2 wrote:
I can tell you (from my experience) that the early H2 had lead weighted bars,:

Not lead, just a plain steel slug that went in all the high bars, it was rammed into the end of the bars and went as far as the first bend, it was then drilled and electric welded to hold it in position, some bars were chromed before the slug was fitted, others after.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:28 am 

Cheers, R.B. now you mention it, I remember those welds! 40 years since I held onto a set of Kawasaki high bars! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 am 

Rod, when I ditched the stock high bar and went to a drag bar, I noticed reduced vibration. They're as short as you can get and still have the stock controls fit, so I assumed there was simply less length to vibrate. I don't remember a lot from 35 years ago, but I remember that clearly. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm 

Yeah, I'm sure you are right about less vibration, Jim. Just as a point of interest, I have used the genuine Kawasaki flat bars, (avatar bike bars) on all my triples from 1970! I cut the ends off way back then - I know ( :lol:) they are the shortest Kawasaki flat bars in the world; 65cm over the ends of the grips, with stock fittings. I know you have bar-end mirrors, but they can't be as narrow as these....................!! :think:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:23 pm 

This might sound like your Wife showing up at the local Watering Hole but ther is a product called Bar Buzz Kill! :lol: