Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 pm 

Pretty common knowledge that the Kester (and other) rebuild kits are only good for the gaskets and fuel valve.
Would it be a cost savings for one of you guys to put together a rebuild kits with Mikuni parts that is intended for a rebuild (without jets)?
Obviously, anyone here could do this but with the lack of a Sudco dealer discount and minimum order, I thought this might be something a dealer could put together, mark up, and serve the community. I am hoping that we might get better quality parts at the same or lower pricing.

If this already exists, please let us know as I for one have been buying kits and throwing away all the brass.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:18 pm 

I was thinking along those lines too, Jim. But then I realized that it's very common to need slightly different jets because of modifications, or just for fine tuning, so even with real Mikuni parts, a lot of guys would still need jets other than what's in a kit. I really don't know how many customers would be able to use all the parts in a kit. Maybe 90% or maybe 10%.

What I don't understand is how word hasn't made its way back to the guys who sell the bad kits, so they stop selling them. It was just yesterday that I got a call from a guy who was interested in getting his H1 CDI unit rebuilt because the engine in his newly restored bike runs terribly in the midrange. I asked if he installed a carb rebuild kit recently, and guess what his answer was.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm 

You assume they care Jim... I recently purchased some copper base gaskets that had allot of misalignment on the transfers. I contacted both the company that sold them to me and the company that made them... They gave me some bull$hit excuse about production quality but no resolution... I even offered to make them a decent dxf file but they didn't even jump at that.
FBG and Cometic Gaskets if you guys care to know...
Off topic a bit but I'm not as optimistic as you are about suppliers, even local ones.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:21 am 

Larry @redline carries cometic gaskets.