Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H1E project
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:30 pm 

Hi Group, I am new to this group, my name is Martyn and I am in Kentucky, I race WERA and AMA with an Graves R6 and have been a regional and national champ, so back in the mid 70s I had a stunning blue H1 but my parents sold it when I received two tickets in a week, oh I am British so maybe that explains a bit of the history :)
Ok got this H1E this week, not been started for 22 years, some twerp painted it that horrid Green so here goes a few grand and a bunch of hours and I will tell you what, I am really looking forward to it...

So far, well I have done nothing in 2 days but today started stripping the paint off and taking it down to metal then going to put it back to original candy red on red

I have ordered $2k of parts and plan to rebuild the bike as time allows starting with the forks, a complete rebuild and upgrade to the brakes, I have a set of chrome expansion chambers on the way, you name it and I have it coming :) so by this time next week all the parts will be here and the metalwork will hopefully be ready to paint, I am not scared of painting but have to do it at home in a confined space. So I will keep the thready going and updated as I can and will always be happy to take advise (like how do you polish the engine and fins up like I have seen?) and I cannot find the small round lens cap for the Neutral lamp, mine is missing, any ideas :) so here it is, a tatty looking H1E soon to be restored :)

Post subject: Re: H1E project
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:59 pm 

Hi Marty, glad you started posting. I don't remember if we talked about it, but the main page of the resource site is here: http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl Take a few hours/days to browse around there, it won't be time wasted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

welcome! we are here to help where we can.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Get a good filtered mask of course for when you paint, and welcome. There are a few of us that have orked on handling on the these guys for decades. So we know what works well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:02 pm 

Thank you all so far, Jim I will do that, managed to find some chrome expansion chambers, they will be here next week, because the previous owner stored the bike greased it is beginning to feel like an easy project so far.
All metal work that was green is now bare metal, the front fender that had been painted is close to perfect chrome, I am so lucky about that so all day paint stripping, monday I will go out and get that candy red, the color the bike originally was and get some paint down.
So the brake caliper and MS is off Jim ready for your bracket and the caliper I have ordered and MS, I may have to skim down the thickness of the rotor? I will measure it tomorrow, the exhaust is off, I will clean that up and sell it,, it looks really nice so I hope it may recoup some of what I have already spent, the plugs are out and looked good, a fraction rich if anything but have new plugs on the way.
Got the oil can out and will clean that tomorrow, thats it for today, once parts start ariving I hope to get more done, I am enjoying this :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:07 pm 

You can cut the brake rotor, but you don't have to. The EX caliper works fine with a stock rotor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 pm 

Jim wrote:
You can cut the brake rotor, but you don't have to. The EX caliper works fine with a stock rotor.

Thanks Jim, I thought it would but had seen some posts where people had cut them.

So the Green had to go :) this is what I was doing a lot of this afternoon,, and paint stripper stings :)

So tomorrow engine out, forks off and the grey paint on the fork lowers will be stripped off and forks all parted out ready for the new seals and oil when it gets here later this week

All the metal work is now perfect and prepped for painting

Onwards and upwards :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:19 pm 

Wear those baggy polyethylene disposable gloves when you work with stripper. Also do it outside and don't breathe the stuff. Most or all good strippers use methylene chloride as the main ingredient, and it's toxic as hell. That burning lets you know it's being absorbed through your skin. I'll give you the details of how I know about methylene chloride at Deal's Gap next year, when you bring the H1.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:35 am 

Not been up the gap for 2 years, I used to go with the R1 Forum, I went up there in 2010 with a Duc 996, needed to keep a bag of nuts and bolts to keep that thing running, it was fun as always :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:01 am 

Ok been a busy week, got a bunch of new parts arrive in including a chrome expansion exhaust system :)
So work so far, went out got the motorbike jack, now fork stanions replaced and fork bearings, just waiting on the fork valve sliders to come back as I have modified them for better compression and rebound.
Spent 3 hours rebuilding the petcock, I changed every seal and diaphram, wow was that all gummed up, removed rear wheel as I have a new tire and tube to fit, removed carbs, disconnected everything to the engine in readyness to remove the engine later today.
Now have the paint (candy Red) and have all metal parts down to base metal and ready to paint tomorrow, got some seafoam in the tank with a tank full of race gas (thats all I had) and its been sitting 24 hours, ready to filter it to make certain there is no varnished old gas left in the tank.
As the previous owner stored it and greesed the whole bike I am going to be cleansing it off as I get to various parts.
So pictures taken today show the bike spread out a it but I know where everything is :)