Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: H1E project
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 pm 

Im doing a custom rebuild on a 74 as well. Nice build thread. Subscribed!

nice paint!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:08 pm 

two-stroke-brit wrote:
your paint looks great in the photos :thumbup:
what mods did you do to the forks?

Paint has come out okay, not show finish but good enough for me, it is a copy of the original colors for 1974, looking forward to it being all assembled soon and riding it, not heard it run ever so will bring back memories from when I was 17 and had one :)

The fork mod I did can be found here http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/tips/forkmods.htm I tig welded the 4 large holes and made 2 fresh ones as per instructions, same with the 1.8mm drill, I have overfilled them on purpose, being from a race background I am hard on breaks and need stiff suspension, if they are still too soft I will find some internals or maybe just a heavier spring but having not ridden it yet will wait and see.

Thank you for the kind comments on my paintwork, now to get the overspray off my new car,,, oppssss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 pm 

Well Sunday AM had no spark, traced that down to a bad earth, then no fuel and a leaking petcock,, fixed the seal in the petcock and re set the new float levels per moos instructions,, voila,, fired 2nd kick then caught fire for a second as I didnt have the pipes connected, it was a bit loud, so much so two neighbours came running to see if I was okay hahaha, all they saw was me grinning ear to ear :D

ok today assembled the pipes, discovered I had the wrong foot pegs on it so found some that fitted for now to allow for shifting, also than now means the rear brake leaver is bent and so I will locate a replacement.

Tomorrow tackle the headlight and horn , simple enough then ENJOY,, as for now I am at a stage I am ready to relax with it, learn the power band and see if I want to race it next year or not?
Front fork mods are really good, that extra few mm of oil I allowed for is perfect, overall I am pretty pleased with the whole thing even if it did fight me all the way with every nut and bolt hahaha
Pics of it nearly finished...

It has now done its first 2 miles in over 22 years, it feels good, I am used to being on a race bike all the time, this feels like luxuary compared to my Graves R6's, I plan to enjoy my ownership and remember my first one back in 76 :) a big thank you to those that have given me advise over the questions I had and to those who sent me parts without even being paid first, I am happy to be a part of the forum and hope I can help out others as I learn more myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:02 am 

Wellll, went for a 20 mile ride and see I have a few things that need attention, coming home at 25mph is not fun.

I believe the gear shift seal has gone so hope I can replace that without too much work? then that will fix the oil leak but then bike also has no mid-range, I have to rev the heck out of it to get it to pull to the power band then it takes off like a rocket.

I initially was worried that it may be no oil was getting to the engine, 20mph and no power threw up a red flag of maybe a seizure imminent as the bike does not have that smoke trail common with the model so I re primed the oil system and saw good smoke out of all 3 cylinders so know that seems to be okay?

Idle is perfect, starts first kick but I will be checking the air fuel mix today, cleansing the plugs and going for a run to check their color to see if it’s rich or lean, I believe rich looking at the plugs now, I will be applying choke when in the mid-range after the bike has warmed up and recon it will get worse but will confirm.

I have fitted #100 MAIN JETS, I rebuilt all 3 carbs and set the float levels per Moo and they are spot on, I have the expansion chambers and have the needles 1 notch down from the top.

So now the fun begins trying to get some mid-range as taking off having to use 6000 rpm plus is not normal unless you’re doing a race start.

Any pointers would be welcomed as I am not a carb expert, Yamaha ECU's and mapping I can chat all day about but carbs,, helpppp :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like you are way lean on your carb setup.
Most stock setups use clip in #3 or #4 position and #100 mains are probably lean as well.
Avoid WOT runs until you are sure the right size mains are fitted or the result could be a hole in the piston.
Those air filters may also cause some jetting problems. Look into some Uni Filters.
Follow the process outlined here: http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbtune/carbtune.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 am 

Nice job and good looking ! My '75 H1 has Factory chambers and K&N's of the style you have. I am at 105 main, std/stock pilot and the needle is the first clip/groove under the top groove on the needle. Runs fine and has for over two decades. I only offer that as a baseline/something to go by. I know others have had issue with the K&N's but I have not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 am 

Thanks for the pointers, I have 4 sets of main jets, #85, #93, #100 and #105, #100 is what I fitted, my needle is on the 2nd notch down from the top but I do believe I am running rich but thats a guess right now, I will play with it today and tomorrow as time allows and see what the plugs tell me, right now as I tested the oil pump they are black as expected but after a clean up will be okay to run a test, but first I will get the air mix adjusted, I am doing that today.
Thank you so much for the inputs, its always great to have some additional assistance especially as I am very much a novice at doing this kind of work.

Ok as it looks like I am rich I have put 92s in the main, runs a whole lot better in the mid range, not quite so sharp of a pull when I hit the power band,, run out of time today to do any more testing