Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:24 pm 

That thing looks like an armidillo...........!! Just kidding, I am a professional painter!! :lol: The idea about loading the clear on till it runs....... Don't do that! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 pm 

Duplicolor has a green engine enamel that is ABSOLUTELY Kawasaki green. I've used it with clear Imron on top on my wifes bike and saved a bunch of cash. My 74 Z1 is Duplicolor metallic with a decal set and then Imron clear. All this time I thought I'd invented something! You've gotta go with the Urethane for it's gas proof properties and hardness. (not to mention the shine)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

The Dupli engine green looks close, until you get it next to a real Kawi green. It's many shades darker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:46 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
The Dupli engine green looks close, until you get it next to a real Kawi green. It's many shades darker.

Better watch where I park.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 am 

Mark already posted the KZ650. I also did the H1 a while back. The 2K clearcoat is freaking amazing stuff. If there's a really bad blemish let it dry for a few months and you can reapply without lifting. I fixed a paint bubble that came up on a seam from a pinhole and it's perfect. fixed the pinhole with sealant, feather sanded it all back. A quick shot of pigment and another layer of clear on the whole tank and finally a proper wetsanding of the whole thank. I need some more recent pics these are the originals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:03 am 

yellowsnow wrote:
I forgot i had these pictures from last year. I know some body will be wondering this.

You should have just covered the tank in that deer skin! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 pm 

Ya I work in a fur tannery. We do the tanning for many taxidermists. Then after work I'll bring my bike in the shop and work on it in the air conditioning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am 

FloridaSteve wrote:
The 2K clearcoat is freaking amazing stuff. If there's a really bad blemish let it dry for a few months and you can reapply without lifting.

Hey Steve,
Do you have to apply the 2K clear coat super wet to get that level of gloss, or, does a semi light coat dry to a high gloss?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:20 am 

Jim C wrote:
FloridaSteve wrote:
The 2K clearcoat is freaking amazing stuff. If there's a really bad blemish let it dry for a few months and you can reapply without lifting.

Hey Steve,
Do you have to apply the 2K clear coat super wet to get that level of gloss, or, does a semi light coat dry to a high gloss?

Im not Steve, but I'll answer the ? anyways.... :lol:

The answer is "No"

Its really no different than shooting a regular 2-part paint from a gun.

Just start with a light "tack" coat which ensures a quick flash time so the substrate doesn't lift (especially decals!) and then a few medium (I lay it on to the point JUST before it wants to run) coats with (if memory serves?) 10-15 minute flash times in between.

If you do run it, who cares.... It will wet sand out easily. I usually let it sit for a couple of weeks before sanding or buffing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 am 

Just (almost finished mine today)

Before,,,,,

After

Took me 3 attempts to get it as I wanted, ended up having to spray the stripes etc as the stickers from a company in England were a total waste of time, Vynal does not go around curves and I should have known better.

One strip down was because the paint store supplied me wrong thinners which reacted with the paint, the other time was when I removed the stickers it took the paint off as well and left a lot of backing on the tank, was not very pleased to have to do a simple job 3 times but pleased now.

All in all a happy camper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next