Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 pm 

Heres the follow-up on the Unit-B gutted out.

I didnt have a glue gun so i used the soldering iron and tried keeping the wires in place.
Just be careful not to bend the tip/rod.

I cut the wires then tried the oven bake technique. The oven and soldering was kinda boring and seemed to take a little bit longer, blow torching was more fun.

After seeing the inside glowing with a kinda cheap jewelry look that you buy at the mall from Claire's I decided to take the forums hint and zinc the unit :)

Ready to be zinced. . .
Unit-B seems to have a shine inside, maybe because I didnt torch it or its not the same set as its an ebay item?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 pm 

You'll like the way the finished set looks with replated housings. It's kinda fun redoing those too, because they look so new when they're finished. You probably remember, but send the rubber connector from the rectifier unit! I don't need/want the mounting plate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 pm 

:thumbup:
Quote:
send the rubber connector from the rectifier unit!

The rubber connector on the rectifier is a really nice one, it kinda looks new, I was going to suggest to use it also instead of just getting its length. Looks like I will be picking up the parts and shipping the four pieces your way tomorrow.

I found a small shop that zinc with a quick turnaround for small people like me :thumbup: I dropped it off Wednesday and its ready two days later! The Zinc people are really hard to find in Houston that support individuals like myself, most are industrial. The chrome people don’t seem to do zinc at all. I called four chrome places the answer was no and no and they recommend industrial places :x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 pm 

I just use the rubber itself. The contacts in it, and the wiring, will all be new. I'll let you know when the package arrives.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:33 pm 

Late follow up...

Found a zinc company on the other side of town with a two day turn around, results below.

Sent to Jim and Jim sent back. Everything was quick and painless, im quite pleased with the work, again thanks :clap:

However, the cases were not prep right prior to zincing :eh: Below, camera at that certain angle, you will notice a dent at 5:00 and scratch line from 10 to 4 on the last unit. Normally, when I get stuff chromed the chrome people will take the time to clean and buff out scratches and so forth as this is for show and their reputation. I don’t think that’s a high priority with the zinc people as they are not really in this for show but as corrosion prevention??? Regardless, they still look good, just could have been better.