Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steering dampeners
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:27 pm 

In a restoration are the steering dampeners rebuildable or just replace? Who makes the best stock looking replacement?

Post subject: Re: Steering dampeners
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:39 pm 

If you are referring to the hydraulic damper it is normally just replaced. Duplicates of the originals are available from many sources. I believe reproduction decals is one such source. ;)

J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:52 pm 

Nice. Hope they're cheap. This "shave and a haircut" is starting to get out of control.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:33 pm 

$82.00 (plus shipping) from the above vendor. ;)

J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 am 

in fact if the frame, fork, wheels and tyres are in good condition, the bike works better without 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:48 am 

husson73 wrote:
in fact if the frame, fork, wheels and tyres are in good condition, the bike works better without 8-)

Cannot agree, J.P. - If I could have had 2 hydraulic dampers on my H2's, I would have.( :lol: :lol: ).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:24 am 

You can't if you want but I haven't no more the hydaulic and the mecanic steering dampers. and my H2A doesn't move at all at 206 KPH or 126 mph real.
with good hydraulic, front rear shock, perfect swing arm and bushes, wheels correct and tyres in GC, the H2 shouldn't move at any speed on any road.
and my 69 H1 moves with the mecanic steering damper on at real 190 kph or 120 mph but doesn't without 8-)
But I must say I have ridden many triples H serie which moved a lot at high speed cause the frame, swing arm, hydraulic have never be done right. :wtf:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:41 am 

I used to race a H2 on short,bumpy race tracks here in Aus, and the damper was wound up tight. When I go for a ride on my ZX10r, on the twisty, bumpy roads here, my ohlins damper is wound up tight! Both bikes could be set up so they handle well without a damper, but I have ridden both those bikes with my hands thrown off the grips at, what, 180 KPH? I like hydraulic dampers!! Not necessary for cruising, and I know you can ride the race-tracks!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:37 pm 

when I raced on H2 didn't used it too but as you know track bike hasn't the same set up than road bike.
Once upon a time, I broke the van when was going with a friend on a road high climbing race.
So we put the tools and the luggages with ties on the two H2s and we went on bikes by the roads without insurance, light, number plates and so one but with the race numbers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At high speed both bikes moved and this didn't happened on the track cause the position on the bike on the track was different.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:17 pm 

My friction damper - there IS NO substitute :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :e11 :e11