Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Admin

I saw a cool write up on it the Brit triple magazine. Pretty simple and made total sense. Some water and crumpled aluminum foil. The water reacts with the AL to make super fine aluminum oxide (sandpaper stuff) and the mechanical cleaning with the foil itself. Supposed to clean up really nice, then a bit of waxing to seal it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Admin

I've tried that... and it works. But I still go back to steel wool with a bit of polish on it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:39 pm 

Hmm never tried putting polish in the steel wool.... what polish do you do this with?

tim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

axiom-r wrote:
Hmm never tried putting polish in the steel wool.... what polish do you do this with?

tim

It depends on what I'm using it on.... sometimes Mother's or equivalent for aluminum, or chrome polish/Meguires for chrome bits.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:05 pm 

I have also used 0000 steel wool as a polishing pad with wax or mothers polish on chrome. I have read that this will deposit small amounts of steel in the pits in the chrome. I haven't regretted using the steel wool but I believe that it is possible to end up with tiny rust spots on the chrome.

I now use Wood Bleach (Oxalic Acid) for chrome clean up. Soak for 24 hours (12 oz of powder in 3 to 5 gal water) and then give a harsh scrubbing with a stiff nylon brush. Rinse with water and dry. Repeat if necessary. I have found if Wood Bleach doesn't work, nothing will. It is very aggressive on iron oxide but easy on the hands. YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 pm 

I've wet sanded fork lowers with progressively finer grit until it looked something like the brushed originals. I took a lot of time and was careful to keep the direction of the sandpaper moving exactly straight up and down the length of the part. Then I clear coated them which made them really look great.