Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H1 muffler hemorrhage
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:52 am 

Just on standard H1 mufflers. I got my first H1 (74) a year ago and spent (wasted) the first 3 months doing everything else (rebuilt carbs; new rings; head gasket; air filter; differrent main jet, (many); changed coil; differrent plugs, (many);plug leads; exhaust gasket; inlet gaskets etc- only to eventually find one of the disc shaped baffles had come loose and was intermittently partially blocking the left exhaust. I learned a lot especially about every tiny piece and aperture of the carbs, but underwent a lot of frustration every time I tried something new only to have it not work; or worse still - seem to work then not.
Of course when I discovered the problem and cut a small square out of the inside of the pipe, had it welded up......... a week later the other two (yes there are 3 of the little *%part number$ers) came loose and back I went to the welder.
The first ride with the problem fixed finally got the triple experience I`d read so much about. Nearly as good as the Jimi Hendrix Experience (yes I am old), `cept louder and more anti-social. Whoohoo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 pm 

interesting. sounds frustrating as hell, glad the persistence paid off for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 pm 

I guess that would make at least 2 great reasons to remove a driver's original pipes periodically. To shake them and listen/look closer for those problems; and "plug, add solvent/gas, shake, soak" to pour out some oily or crusty, restrictive build-ups!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:31 pm 

I quote Mark "ewww Stockness">.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:57 pm 

I know some here will just say "yeah, right, whoppie for you, Tuner", but many years ago, when I worked in a Kawasaki service shop, I built a tool, as I always do, that inserted in place of the removed baffle, and literally screwed it one direction to expand a holder. When the holder was in place and tight, the diverter sections in the mufflers could be checked for coming loose inside the pipe bodies themselves. They are only spot welded in place, and, they do come loose from time to time. And, it helped determine if the muffler needed to be warrantee'd, replaced, or, the baffle, etc.

Later, when I had my shop in Merced, a fellow brought me a CR500 with aftermarket pipe and spark arrester, ran great with no muffler/arrester. Put the mess back on, ran the same great for a short distance, then, stop city. Muffler was fine, arrester was fine. When I stuck a broom handle up the rear of the arrester, the thing ran great again, for a short time, then fell flat on its face again. Finally took the mess apart, section of the arrestor was open when the broom stick pushed it forward, but exhaust gas forced that plate back when the thing ran closing off ALL exhaust flow. I finally just put the plate back in the right place, and added both stitch welds and screws to hold the plate. It worked good enough for the guy that owned it to go out and fall off at high speed in the boonies, causing him to sell it for a greatly reduced cost....to me. One day, I'll find a nice little 125 cafe Honda chassis of some kind, and put that CR engine in it, just for nice, street riding fun.