Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:42 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
I'm glad I'm not into restorations,

Fiberglass fender $75.00, clubmans $20.00.

All those parts would be thrown in the boneyard........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

John - I guess I have more money than sense. But not much more. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

rotortech wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
I'm glad I'm not into restorations,

Fiberglass fender $75.00, clubmans $20.00.

All those parts would be thrown in the boneyard........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

John - I guess I have more money than sense. But not much more. :lol:

LOL, until you get your parts back at least...... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 pm 

rotortech wrote:
I went to my local plating shop for a quote with these 4 parts.

1974 Kawasaki S3
Front Fender
Fender Bracket
Handlebar
Grab Rail

Here is a picture of what I sent. The rust has been removed and the parts were polished. The chrome is pitted on all these parts.

The nice guy at the local plating shop told me he would have to see them to quote the job. I said "of course". He added that the turnaround time would be at least 12 weeks. He must already know how slowly I work. :D 12 weeks is a bit too long, even for me!

So I called Atlas Platers. Then I sent them pictures of the parts via email. They responded immediately with a rough estimate of $350 but not firm until they see the parts. I sent them today to Atlas Platers in Houston. I guess I am going to spend $350 on chrome for these parts.

I got the parts back today and they look really good. Total with shipping was $375 plus the cost of shipping from Indy to TX. Atlas Platers was easy to work with and they turned the parts around pretty quickly. I am a satisfied customer and recommend them for your plating work.

In hindsight, I should have bought a new set of bars from Parts N More for chump change. However, the other parts I could not easily replace. This stuff will look nice on the bike.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:22 pm 

Atlas sounds promising...

I would like to send some parts out for rechroming, but I would like to send them to someone (felow board member) that is physically bringing them to thier plater... Meaning, they are able to walk in the door, inspect, accept or reject the work once its been completed. No more of this "mail it across country and roll the dice" crap.

My last chroming experience was misery and cost me $800.00 and the destruction of 2 or 3 perfectly good parts (over polished over sanded, pitted, left rust, etc) including a MINT H1e/f/h2b/c front fender that was actually nicer BEFORE I sent it.

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER send your stuff to a place in North Carolina called Chrome Express or Chrome Shop or whatever they decide to change their name to..... They talk all sweet and assuring on the phone buy lie, cheat, and destroy your parts.. At best you get back "fair" quality chrome and a huge headache.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:20 pm 

Never trust anyone from NC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm 

rotortech wrote:
rotortech wrote:
I went to my local plating shop for a quote with these 4 parts.

1974 Kawasaki S3
Front Fender
Fender Bracket
Handlebar
Grab Rail

Here is a picture of what I sent. The rust has been removed and the parts were polished. The chrome is pitted on all these parts.

The nice guy at the local plating shop told me he would have to see them to quote the job. I said "of course". He added that the turnaround time would be at least 12 weeks. He must already know how slowly I work. :D 12 weeks is a bit too long, even for me!

So I called Atlas Platers. Then I sent them pictures of the parts via email. They responded immediately with a rough estimate of $350 but not firm until they see the parts. I sent them today to Atlas Platers in Houston. I guess I am going to spend $350 on chrome for these parts.

I got the parts back today and they look really good. Total with shipping was $375 plus the cost of shipping from Indy to TX. Atlas Platers was easy to work with and they turned the parts around pretty quickly. I am a satisfied customer and recommend them for your plating work.

In hindsight, I should have bought a new set of bars from Parts N More for chump change. However, the other parts I could not easily replace. This stuff will look nice on the bike.

pm sent

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 am 

Should have ordered some of this when I got paint. Looks very promising. I'd like to try it.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm

http://www.alsacorp.com/live/view_killerchrome_demo.html

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 am 

Just took my dismantled shocks and front fender down to Spacecoast Chrome in FL as it was the nearest place to me with best recommendation.
Showed me some of their work which was very impressive. Qoute was higher than I expected but alot cheaper than NOS!!! Will post pics in a few weeks hopefully...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 pm 

Found a plater in SoCal. Seven pieces $265 total. $25 was return shipping. I sent him those piecse to check the quality, couldn't be happier. My whole bike going there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:42 am 

Would you mind posting who the plater is in So Cal?
The work seemed very reasonable and my bike is
in San Diego.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next