Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 am 

EASTWOODs also has some chrome type spray. I'd be curious to give it a go maybe with some rock hard urethane on top? I'm not into originality, but I do like shiny, clean parts! On Ebay thier kit is like $90. I'm going to try it on some scratched-up and epoxied engine covers. :think:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:44 pm 

A large part of the cost of plating is in the time spent sanding and polishing parts. Chrome is expensive no matter where you go. Focus more on the quality of the work and the reputation of the business for safely handling rare parts.
I recently used Brown's for a bunch of parts. They usually have a 10-15% off sale in the summer that makes it a litle more bearable. Their price seemed to be in line with some of the quotes mentioned previously in this post. Quality of the plating was very nice, top notch. Sent some bolts and hardware, and some of that was over-sanded. Probably unavoidable, I guess. Probably more cost effective to buy NOS bolts, nuts, & screws if you can find them. They over sanded and destroyed one of the carb caps for my CL350 and lost an emblem for my Yamaha. However, Ronne Brown seems to be a reputable guy that stands behind his work. He purchased and sent me a NOS yamaha emblem to replace the missing one, and offered to reimburse me for another carb cap and plate it free of charge. They were very nice to work with, and although I was disappointed with the mistakes, they made good on everything. The return shipping was reasonable, and great care was taken in the packaging of the finished parts.
Will I use Brown's again? Sure. Would I consider using someone else? Yes. What would I do different next time? If you have small parts that are heavily rusted or pitted, you are better off sourcing NOS if possible. It would be nice to be able to drop off my parts in person, but there seems to be no reputable plater within a reasonable distance of here that will do small batches of delicate parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 pm 

H1FR wrote:
Found a plater in SoCal. Seven pieces $265 total. $25 was return shipping. I sent him those piecse to check the quality, couldn't be happier. My whole bike going there.

Last edited by H1FR on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:12 pm 

robmanero wrote:
A large part of the cost of plating is in the time spent sanding and polishing parts. Chrome is expensive no matter where you go. Focus more on the quality of the work and the reputation of the business for safely handling rare parts.
I recently used Brown's for a bunch of parts. They usually have a 10-15% off sale in the summer that makes it a litle more bearable. Their price seemed to be in line with some of the quotes mentioned previously in this post. Quality of the plating was very nice, top notch. Sent some bolts and hardware, and some of that was over-sanded. Probably unavoidable, I guess. Probably more cost effective to buy NOS bolts, nuts, & screws if you can find them. They over sanded and destroyed one of the carb caps for my CL350 and lost an emblem for my Yamaha. However, Ronne Brown seems to be a reputable guy that stands behind his work. He purchased and sent me a NOS yamaha emblem to replace the missing one, and offered to reimburse me for another carb cap and plate it free of charge. They were very nice to work with, and although I was disappointed with the mistakes, they made good on everything. The return shipping was reasonable, and great care was taken in the packaging of the finished parts.
Will I use Brown's again? Sure. Would I consider using someone else? Yes. What would I do different next time? If you have small parts that are heavily rusted or pitted, you are better off sourcing NOS if possible. It would be nice to be able to drop off my parts in person, but there seems to be no reputable plater within a reasonable distance of here that will do small batches of delicate parts.

I have always heard good things about Brown's.