Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:11 pm 

Cliff, I posted the same question to another group and got a reply from a reliable source. He measured 106.92mm on a NOS H2B cylinder, that's 2mm taller than my shaved cylinder. Makes sense that someone was playing around with performance they might take off a relatively even number. Now to find a 2mm base gasket. I've made plenty of gaskets with a ball peen hammer before but 2mm is a little thick. I tried Cometic but their site sucks, keeps erroring when I try to register. I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and give them a call.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:25 pm 

^ I would recommend calling Cometic. I had those same issues a couple of years ago with their website and needed a head gasket for my GT750. I called them and the representative was extremely helpful and I ordered what I needed over the phone.

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:01 pm 

Never2Old wrote:
Cliff, I posted the same question to another group and got a reply from a reliable source. He measured 106.92mm on a NOS H2B cylinder, that's 2mm taller than my shaved cylinder. Makes sense that someone was playing around with performance they might take off a relatively even number. Now to find a 2mm base gasket. I've made plenty of gaskets with a ball peen hammer before but 2mm is a little thick. I tried Cometic but their site sucks, keeps erroring when I try to register. I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and give them a call.

Dave

https://coppergaskets.us/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:09 pm 

Maybe in the resource page but, does anyone know the cyl. height on a H2?

I got a 106.92mm reluctantly.

What is reality?

cliff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:47 pm 

Well, after a lot of hemming and hawing and advice from around the globe, I've narrowed it down to two options. I really believe the cylinder were shortened by 2mm, taken off the top. I need to bring the cylinders back up to height so the pistons won't rise above the top of the cylinder and hit the head.

I found good sources of custom 2mm gaskets, one for a replacement base gasket and another for a replacement copper head gasket. If I go with the 2mm base gasket it will throw off the timing, but I've heard some opinions that it might not be a bad thing. Or is it? I'm no exert on port timing so I have no idea.

If I go with a replacement 2mm head gasket, timing stay intact.

In both cases I'll have to measure the squish to really see where I am.

Any pros or cons for either case? Opinions wanted.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:23 pm 

I don't remember... have you owned/ridden a stock H2? I like to experience a stock configuration before I modify it so I have a baseline. It's easy to try thick base gaskets along with shortening the intake side piston skirts later if you decide to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:02 pm 

My H2 addiction began when I bought my brothers 72 in 75. I rode it for many years before selling it. I was a poor college student in need of cash, what a mistake. It was stock but it was a hand full, always a thrill to ride. If I start with a stock base gasket and use a 2mm head gasket the bike should be close to stock (other than the oversize piston.) Then if I want to I could experiment with a 2mm base gasket and stock head gasket to see how it affects timing/performance. That's one of the benefits of a 2 stroke, easy to rebuild the top end. But it's also more of an mystery, for me, when you start playing with port timing.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:40 pm 

The trouble with just raising the cylinder is that intake timing goes the wrong way. That's why I mentioned the cutting of the intake side piston skirt at least an equal amount.

There's plenty of 2-stroke porting information on the web if you want it to be less mysterious. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:51 pm 

Some progress, getting closer. Thanks to Lani at CopperGaskets.us I now have .080" head gaskets installed. He does a great job, nice looking parts, fast delivery.

After putting it all back together I did a wet compression check and the readings were in the low 130s. I know this is a little low so I'm thinking of trying a new set of head gaskets for better compression. The next size down is .063" which isn't much of a difference, and then .050".
If I go with .063" I run the risk of still having low compression, if I go to .050" I might overshoot or still be low.

I measured the squish and got a reading of about .060". The heads look pretty stock so I doubt there was any machining done to them.
Does anyone know what the stock dimension is for any H2? If I know what it's supposed to be I can easily calculate the best head gasket thickness to use.

Getting closer but not there yet. Trying not to overthink.

Thanks for the replies,

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:59 am 

You are overthinking this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next