Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:21 pm 

Sir's

Just wanted to introduce myself to the board and say "Howdy".

I just purchased a barn find in baskets 72' H2, the blue one. I'm not new to Kawi's, I own and restore the older 4 strokes, GPZ, ELR, KZ, etc... But this is my first resto on a Kawi Triple.

I'm still picking through the parts, inventorying what I have and don't have, and searching for parts sources. I've wanted one since I first saw one in 1987, but have not had the means until now. I am a two stoke-a-holic, having owned and currently own RD's, RZ's and a few GT's.

Thanks!
577Nitro-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:52 pm 

Hello and welcome! In case you haven't found it yet, just about everything you could possibly want to know is here: www.kawatriple.com

I have a '72 H2 that I got in '78 when I was 20. I hope you get your parts converted into a motorcycle without too much pain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:29 am 

Welcome! There's a lot of resources here to help you.

Like Jim I bought my 72 H2 in 1978 but I was 18 and still ride it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:05 am 

Welcome to the Board !!!

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:01 pm 

Thanks to all, I've been reading threads and checking out the resources page...they made me feel much better about this adventure.

I'm amazed at the amount of reproduction parts that are available.

Question, I know in the 4 stroke world of the KZ's there are a few frame reinforcing kits, are there such things in the triple smoker world?

Also, since this is a frame off, I'll need the crank over hauled and trued, anybody have a favorite shop? I live (in) CO, and I think there is a Triple shop around but I can't remember what it is.

Thanks again, glad to be here.

577Nitro-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:09 pm 

The resource site has respected crank rebuilders in the vendors section. I had Charlie Smith do mine and am very happy with it.

If your head bearings, swing arm bushings, and wheel bearings are in good shape, it'll handle fine without bracing. Many were raced in the stock production class. I think there is some information about frame bracing on the resource site if you really think you want it.

You should have a working steering stabilizer though, and reinforce its bracket. The bracket often breaks and lets the stabilizer get stuck in the head fins, usually causing either broken fins or a crash.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:28 am 

Like Jim said - and Charlie did mine years ago still holding up fine. What part of CO? I'm in the Springs.

Last edited by BarryB on Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:40 am 

BarryB wrote:
Like Jim said - and Charlie did mine too years ago still holding up fine. What part of CO? I'm in the Springs.

I’m actually about 25 miles east of Denver off I70. Middle of nowhere.

I seeing now I’m missing some parts, and some are garbage. The main bits are there though and the frames straight.
Further digging and found out the original engine has had some professional looking port work done to it.

577nitro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:44 am 

I'm north Springs just south of the Air Force academy and close to Garden of the Gods. Yes you can find most anything either repo or from parts sources. Cylinders and especially clutch covers are hens teeth but you can find just about everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:27 am 

577nitro wrote:
Further digging and found out the original engine has had some professional looking port work done to it.

It would be a good idea to measure the port timing, deck height, and combustion chamber volume to see what you have. Porting can have a huge effect on the way the engine runs, and not always for the better.