Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:07 pm 

Jim wrote:
577nitro wrote:
Further digging and found out the original engine has had some professional looking port work done to it.

It would be a good idea to measure the port timing, deck height, and combustion chamber volume to see what you have. Porting can have a huge effect on the way the engine runs, and not always for the better.

Wise advice for sure, will do. Since this is a Denver area original bike, would Purple Haze have possibly done the work? Any markings that I could look for?

I have been able to locate a phenomenal amount of information and parts...amazing what you can get repo or NOS. Buchanan's for wider rims, I think I'm going to try for 2.75 front and 3.5 rear so I can run 110 front and 140 rear. Nothing crazy wide. This is my basic setup on my 81 GPZ1100.

577nitro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:13 pm 

I have a 130/80 on a 3.5" Lester, and it barely clears the brake torque rod. I'm running a 100/90-19 on the front, and there isn't a lot of extra room around the fender bracket. Too big on an H2 will probably not help the handling and may hurt it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:41 pm 

Thanks for the advice on the wheel size, I'll rethink that. It made a huge difference to the GPZ1100...which is basically the same setup as the KZ1000R S1 that Eddie and Wayne raced.

I might have forgot to mention, that I also got two other complete running engines with it...minus ignition systems on them. One of these look like some light polishing on the ports the other is bone ass stock. The the highest serial number is 19XXX the lowest is 9XXX if I remember right. Would these be in the right date code for a 72? Not sure what I'm going to do with them, I was thinking maybe an engine transplant into a late model GPZ550 for some kind of crazy two stroke beast!

Probably asking WOW how much for that with three engines...less than the cost of a single engine (fiend deal), he was never going to restore it, so I promised to let him ride it, and help him on a Triumph Triple build.

577nitro-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:14 pm 

The resource site has information about serial numbers of engines and frames through the years.

www.kawatriple.com