Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finally ....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:33 pm 

After a long search I've finally found a starting point. Not a complete bike, but most of one. I'm going the retro-mod route, it's a bit of a franken bike anyway. I'm targeting the 72-73 look, with improvements when it's worth it. Yes, I do have an early upswept tail and I will use a painted front fender. Only missing a few odds and ends, bits and bobs. One thing I do need is an early gas tank. If anybody has one collecting dust on their shelf, let me know. I'm not looking 'original paint', not interested in paying a premium since I'm going to repaint it anyway.

It's a start, wish me luck

Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Finally ....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:34 pm 

I'm looking forward to see what comes of this. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:21 pm 

One of John Aylor's long tanks, and an Air Tech H2-R seat would be nice, but, it turns the bike into a single person rider.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:40 pm 

One of my challenges has been the difference between the shorter early frame and the longer 74+ frame. I really want to use the early, upswept cowl. I have a H2c frame and I'm looking for an early short frame. That way I can fit the rear cowl, seat and tank. I don't know how they will fit with a long frame, don't know the size differences of the tank and seat. I knew this was going to be a project.

But it feels good to have something to work with. Ultimately I'm going to end up with two H2's, an early and a late.

Can't wait to make smoke.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:11 pm 

The difference I'm aware of in the frames is that the swing arm pivot point of the later frames is 1-1/2" farther forward, and takes a 3" longer swing arm. The overall result is that the later H2s have a 1-1/2" longer wheelbase.

As far as the early bodywork fitting a late frame, someone will be along with that answer before long.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 pm 

I have the early tail I want to use, and the bolt holes do not line up with the later frame. The newer frame is a little narrower. I don't want to create new mount points for the tail, but that would allow me to match it to the tank and seat position lengthwise. I'm assuming the newer tank is longer and pushes the seat back a little. But that's an assumption.

Dave

(Of course, it doesn't matter if I can find an early frame.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:27 pm 

The seat and tank dimensions are on the resource site. The new tanks are longer, and the seats shorter.