Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transmission Repair
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:36 pm 

I'm in the process of rebuilding my H2 and noticed a pretty beat up up gear. It looks like only one is damaged, don't see any other problems. One picture shows the whole gear set, the other is the damaged gear. The damaged gear is the second from the left, lower. Looking for recommendations for a rebuilder.

Thanks,

Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Transmission Repair
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:33 pm 

Why not get a replacement gear an put it in? At this point you've done all the work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 pm 

What Jim said, there is a lot of good advice on the resource sight regarding gearbox set-up, and if you are only changing the one gear, it is straightforward. Slow and methodical does the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:48 am 

Didn't think it was that easy, good idea guys. Next challenge; I just spent a few hours searching and can't find it in stock anywhere. Good thing this a long term project.

One thing though, all the tangs/tabs on that gear are damaged but no other parts. The gear it matches up to is fine. I would have thought the mating piece would have been damaged too. Weird.

Since I'm pulling it apart what other parts should I replace? Bearings and seals I would guess. I haven't miced the shift forks yet but will be looking at that too.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:33 am 

That gear was probably heat treated incorrectly and the dogs are soft rather than hard like a file. You could even try filing one when it's out and see if you can. If so, it's soft. But from your photo it's pretty clear it's soft, since it looks like the metal was deformed and smeared.

Yes, change all bearings and seals. The resource site has the exploded views and part numbers.

You'll most likely have to get the gear from a source like eBay, from a seller who is parting out a transmission.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:11 am 

That gear is sold out everywhere right now. I guess that they had a bad batch and I'm not the only one replacing it.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:41 am 

I believe that's 5th gear on the input shaft, part number 13136-035.

Here's one. I'm not recommending it, but it does exist: https://vintagekawasaki.com/webshop/ind ... ts_id=9103

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:53 pm 

Well, searching high and low I finally found one yesterday. They said they had it in stock, so I ordered it. Just got an email back today, Kawasaki is no longer stocking the part so I'm SOL! It was half the price as the one in the link above, but not available is not available.

Anybody have a 13136-035 kicking around that they don't need?

Time to roll the dice and see if the $200 dollar one is actually available or they'll discover that they can't get it either.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:09 pm 

Never2Old wrote:
They said they had it in stock, so I ordered it. Just got an email back today, Kawasaki is no longer stocking the part so I'm SOL!

That's normal for our triple parts. The big parts places appear to have parts, but they don't. That's why I mentioned eBay for example. If you can wait and watch, one may come up.

Have you asked H1FR? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9211

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:57 pm 

It might be an idea to get on the various FB Triples groups, and put a call out there, there is a lot more activity and many helpful people. I probably have a useable gear, but I am in Australia and postage costs, covid clearances, etc. make it all too hard. You will be looking for a good second hand gear, new ones are rare and expensive.