Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1972 Kawasaki H2 750
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:24 pm 

Please check this out when you have a chance.

In the ignition systems I convert, I bead blast the aluminum, then in warm water (my sink), I hand rub, easily, with a Brillo pad. This closes the bead blasted metal pores closed, so they don't catch and hold contaminants. The parts look very close to stock finish, and wipe clean.

A scrap piece of aluminum should show the results when tested.

I do this to every aluminum distributor, and they can be seen on my ignition system Gallery website, davessmallbodyheis.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:04 pm 

I temporarily put on the body for some quick pictures. Looks like I need the seal between the petcock and tank before attempting to add gas.
I'm only a month behind what I had hoped for on the build, which I consider pretty good. Small details always take up time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Yeddy911 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:48 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
In the ignition systems I convert, I bead blast the aluminum, then in warm water (my sink), I hand rub, easily, with a Brillo pad. This closes the bead blasted metal pores closed, so they don't catch and hold contaminants. The parts look very close to stock finish, and wipe clean.

H2RTuner, when you said Brillo pad, do you mean the metal ones? With or without soap? Will Scotchbright pads work instead? Have you used this method on Kawi side cases?

Also, have you used any kind of sealer, like a clear coat, after polishing?

I'm trying to figure out how I want to finish my cases, just not set on a look yet.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:20 pm 

After he mentioned it early on in the thread, I used the Brillo pad with soap. I liked the look. I've done the mirror polish on aluminum in the past and liked it, but preferred a less glossy look for this bike.
I used scotch brite for sanding, and followed with the Brillo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:53 pm 

Yeddy911 wrote:
Then I used SprayMax 3680061, 2K Urethane Clear Coat.

That's excellent stuff! I'd love to know how it holds up over a few years when sprayed right on clean aluminum. I've used it only over paint, and in that case it worked perfectly, both over old enamel and over fresh lacquer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:01 pm 

I use the commonly available soapy Brillo pads, under water, by hand. Steel wool is usually too coarse, no soap doesn't work as well as plain soapy Brillo pads, and the pink soap is kinda fun.

Did you try the oil test after Brillo, on the aluminum? Do the Brillo "burnish", dry off completely. Put some oil on the area, let it sit a while, come back with a rag, wipe it off? If so, how'd it work for you?

Please remember, I don't usually beauty polish my stuff, it is meant to be as close to stock as possible. A beauty polished surface is the best closing of aluminum surface pores after blasting, should be nice even without clear coating.

I have never coated aluminum after Brillo, nor beauty polishing, never saw the need to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:42 pm 

I used a Glasurit surface cleaner before SprayMax clear coating. I believe it was Glasurit 540-5. It was given to me by the owner of a body shop.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 pm 

I dont clear over my polished aluminum for concerns it may yellow.

Prefer the MotoBatt AGM batteries for these bikes, only sealed batteries for me! [no chance of acid spills]

https://www.batterymart.com/c-kawasaki- ... ttery.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:01 pm 

I don't think Spraymax 2K will yellow in our lifetimes.

My favorite battery is a generic alarm battery like this one, currently under $17 delivered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174716430462?h ... SwBDtZ0mLn

If that link gets old, it's an HC1221W sealed battery used in alarms, UPSs and emergency lighting. To use them you need to change the terminals on the wires that connect to it to push-on type and probably put some foam in the battery box because it's a little smaller than a stock battery.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:13 pm 

While tropical storm Henri soaks the area, I decided to put on some decals.
It took a few months to get them. Rick Brett sent them in July, but the original set never made it. After a fair amount of wait time, he sent another set. They arrived safe and I managed to do a good job on the side covers and tail piece.
After I get the bike running and don't have to worry about fuel spills and scratches I'll put the gas tank set on, and then clear coat them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next