Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:59 pm 

I've been into RD350's and 250's and have refurbished 3 of them.

I bought a KH500 a couple of years back and am done with all except the engine. That has been waiting until fall in Houston so that I can disassemble it and send the crank out for refurbishment and get the cylinders bored for new pistons. Progress is being made :)

Last week, while minding my own business on Craigslist, I come across a mostly complete '73 S2. $1400 later it's mine. It is missing the center jug and the outboard jugs are already on an overbore (0.5 mm on one and 1.0 mm on another) and they need reboring.

I bought a set of three what were supposed to be s2 jugs on ebay and they turned out to be S3 400 cc jugs. It turns out that S2 jugs are not common and I have been having difficulty finding them.

I think I know the answer - but can S3 jugs be used on an S2? The crankcases are different part numbers and the spigots are larger on the S3 so I would guess not. But I thought I would check with the experts.

Wanted to see if there was interchangability like with RD350 and RD250 jugs which are a direct swap.

If they don't interchange, I will keep hunting.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:39 am 

Nope
The 400 cases have rubber mounts and where the jugs sit the studs are in different places.
Also the holes for the jugs in the cases are smaller
There's also 2 types of jugs, the early 71 jugs have studs that are visible through the fins, the later ones are conventional, the 350 was only manufactured for 2 yes.
However a 400 motor will slot straight in and uses the same ignition

If your not bothered about originality

Gary T

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:44 am 

Greetings to all, I also have an S2, but I am poor in mechanical knowledge, to learn everything you write, but I do not understand what these "jugs" are, translated by google as jugs, but in Italian jugs are mares that that are worth nothing ..
Paola ( Italy)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:14 am 

Paola wrote:
Greetings to all, I also have an S2, but I am poor in mechanical knowledge, to learn everything you write, but I do not understand what these "jugs" are, translated by google as jugs, but in Italian jugs are mares that that are worth nothing ..
Paola ( Italy)

Cylinders
Here's a usfull website
http://kawatriple.com/

Gary T

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:21 am 

Paola wrote:
Paola ( Italy)

American translation- jugs/ cylinders.

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:29 am 

"Barrels" in old Australian lingo. "Lingo"...the local language!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:29 am 

RODH2 wrote:

But... "barrels" are carburetor bores. "My '69 Chevy has a 4-barrel carburetor."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:07 am 

Jim wrote:
RODH2 wrote:

But... "barrels" are carburetor bores. "My '69 Chevy has a 4-barrel carburetor."

...and beer barrels! The vagaries of language! You can barrel down the road on your H2. Cylindrica for Paolo above, maybe. :think:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:01 am 

Thanks for the advice, Gary. The S3 jugs are going back to the ebay seller and I will keep looking for a decent set of S2 jugs.

My S2 came to me missing the center cylinder and the pistons. The left and right cylinders are 0.5 mm and 1.0 mm overbore and are very rough. They definitely need reboring.

CruzinImage has slugs up to 1.0 mm overbore, so I will need to get a full set of decent jugs.

BTW, I am surprised that the rude definition of "jugs" did not come up in the discussion above. Nice that you all keep it clean around here. :D

I've always liked the term slugs and jugs for pistons and cylinders. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:33 pm 

Gene Kaw wrote:

BTW, I am surprised that the rude definition of "jugs" did not come up in the discussion above. Nice that you all keep it clean around here. :D

Hey, we are trying to run a respectable site around here!! :lol: