Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:02 pm 

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share my 'blunder' with you with hope you can lend a hand to find a solution.

Back way when, I started repairing this bike.

I picked it up in March of 2011 and it sat in my garage for another 5 years before I really touched it, because I was working on another kawi triple (which I recently sold).
The S2 was missing the center cylinder (amongst other things), so during the few years it was sitting, I started sourcing parts-- blinkers, engine bits (pistons, rings, etc)..

Then I started stripping the whole thing down to the bare frame.
As I was doing that, naturally, I was taking notes of what pieces were "beyond repair", or so rusted out, that no amount of evaporust would bring them back.

I was working on a few little projects simultaneously- like the seat pan and STATOR (thread HERE).
For the pan, it was decaying. It was rusted through in certain places, so I had to patch with labmetal, sand, patch, sand, blah, bla... I then finished it off with a 'hammered metal' rustoleum paint. Turned out pretty decent.

MIDWAY

AFTER

Mid April 2019, I sent the crank out to Charlie to get redone.
BEFORE
AFTER

All through out, I was still ordering random bolts and parts as I saw them. Fleabay, craigslist, etc... I picked up a rear seat rest/cowel off of ebay. Model and year matched nicely. I did a dry fit on the frame and it was ok. Just after the 2019 holiday season, I took all the body parts to have a pro do the paint.
I am very happy with how the body work turned out. :thumbup:

Early March 2020, I dropped the engine off to the machinist to hone the cylinders to the once over piston size and repair the snapped cylinder mounting bolt. I snapped 3 bolts in getting that pesky cylinder off! (see this thread) :shock: I was able to get two of them out with a reverse bit, but that third one exceeded my skillset. I was afraid to drill anymore and damage the engine case. So, off to the machinist.

And then COVID.... ugh. No paying work, so I continue tinkering on this bike.

and now the "good stuff"
Things are starting to come back together. A few days ago, I decided to put all the body parts on to 'dress her up'...
Looking good! :P

Then, I try to bolt on the tail light and it's a bit of a pain. The light is not fitting inside properly and the bolt holes are funky. (you can see in the pic above) I get it to work, but... :wtf: :eh: hmm.
Then I have the good ol seat pan that I've been trying to skin for the past few weeks. I plop that on and the angle of the back is waay off.

Well, if you haven't guessed already, in my early days of ordering parts, I didn't realize there were two S2 models! So, when I ordered a replacement rear seat rest, I received one for an S2A! :shock:
Clearly, I'm not having body work redone- that custom work cost a few $$$!

So, what to do?
Finding a S2a tail light shouldn't be too difficult. :? (hoping!)
What about a S2a seat pan?!? Will an S2a seat pan fit properly on an S2 frame? Like, will the hinges/bolt holes line up?
What other mal-effects might manifest?

Jeez, I feel like an idiot-- creating more work for myself! If I only knew...
Thank you in advance for not making fun of me (too much) and for helping me find a solution to this oversight!

Cheers,
bb

Last edited by brendon11 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:58 pm 

Seat pan and light are correct - but the tail looks like S2A (as you said) - easiest fix is to get the proper tail..I know it means repaint etc..but H2 tail might fit and seat pans are usually hard to come by

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:11 pm 

Zambia wrote:
Seat pan and light are correct - but the tail looks like S2A (as you said) - easiest fix is to get the proper tail..I know it means repaint etc..but H2 tail might fit and seat pans are usually hard to come by

Thats what I'm worried about.... finding an S2A seat pan. :shock:
Unless another kawi model seat pan could fit?

I have a KH400 sitting in the garage- maybe I'll see if that seat fits... to get some sort of baseline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:36 pm 

Zambia wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:59 pm 

thats bad luck about parts but you should be able to sell or swop tail section and I think your tank name stickers are on back to front ?, (wrong sides ), good luck with the rest of the build ,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:02 pm 

True, the "KAWASAKI" should slant forward like the "350" does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 pm 

Jim wrote:
True, the "KAWASAKI" should slant forward like the "350" does.

Yes, check the original pic. Somebody messed up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:08 am 

Back on topic, as the lettering angle doesn't bother me.

How different is the H2 tail from the S2 tail? They look similar, but are they actually?
Finding a S2 (not s2a) tail might be like a unicorn?!? :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 am 
Site Admin

I have a 72 tail section, a seat pan and decent foam........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:30 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
I have a 72 tail section, a seat pan and decent foam........

BAM!! :clap: