Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1972 H1-B
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:31 am 
Site Admin

40 plus year old bearings and rubber seals, I personally wouldn't chance it. The pins look discolored also, so new small end bearings also.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:01 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
40 plus year old bearings and rubber seals, I personally wouldn't chance it. The pins look discolored also, so new small end bearings also.

Thanks for the all the recommendations, I have decided to send the crank off, once I have it rebuilt, I can ride with confidence, so it seems the CruzingImage pistons have good reviews, by the time I buy wrist pins, needle bearings and rings, I can buy the piston kit much cheaper. Going to order some new balls and springs for the check valves, when I get it separated, I will check the shift forks and 1st gear, what else should I look for or replace while I'm in there?. Which crank seals would you guys recommend, Labyrinth or rubber? many questions to follow, Dale, I will get the photos to you today. Thanks again, Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:36 am 
Site Admin

You need to go through the transmission post on Dale's site, as these guys do have problems. Be careful when splitting the cases, you have to remove the clutch actuator, and there is a half moon cap going in the end of one trans shaft you will break off the oil feed if you do not remove. I always recommend lab seals as I don't trust the rubber ones with the ethanol on the gas now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:09 pm 

Needing to get my rotor off so I can send my crank to Charlie, tried the cut off drill bit trick with the 10mm bolt, well she didn't budge, 1/8th turn on wrench, tap with hammer, never could shock it loose, bent my bit, got scared and quit, whats the next trick??. Should I split the cases and try to press it off?. Thanks, Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Charlie will pull it for you. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:30 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Charlie will pull it for you. :thumbup:

Thanks, one less headache. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:40 pm 

Hey Buddy...good decision on getting the crank rebuilt now, then you wont have to ever worry about it in your lifetime! Charlie's done both my H1 & H2, never an issue.

Although I have heard good reviews on the cruzin image pistons [for Honda], I went with Wiseco's.
However, a lot of the guys here like the Wossners.
Either way, highly recommend a forged piston with the skirt coating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:42 pm 

Stev-o wrote:
Hey Buddy...good decision on getting the crank rebuilt now, then you wont have to ever worry about it in your lifetime! Charlie's done both my H1 & H2, never an issue.

Although I have heard good reviews on the cruzin image pistons [for Honda], I went with Wiseco's.
However, a lot of the guys here like the Wossners.
Either way, highly recommend a forged piston with the skirt coating.

Thanks Steve, I will give them a look, no need to skimp at this point, I also want to say how much I appreciate you guys taking the time to walk me through this engine rebuilt, never split the cases on anything but a single cylinder, went through several cranks during my kids motocross racing adventures. After wrestling with a couple stuck seals, I was able to get the cases split, do these look like stock seals?, didn't find any evidence of the cases ever being split but Oh No! :shock: look what I found on the inner crank seals, glad we made the decision to rebuild the crank. Looking at the tranny, the gears and shifter forks look ok, going to go through the tranny check that ja-moo recommended, I'm looking for any guidance or suggestions of what I should look for or replace at this time, like is there a gasket and oil seal complete kit out there? looks like you have to source 3 different sets? Thanks, Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:27 am 
Site Admin

the gasket kits and seal kits are separate. There are a few places that sell both. My go to is midatlantic.

And that's why i like labs seals, rubber is just cheap old school. If the bike is a keeper, I would go with the Wossners. Highest quality pistons on the market. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:48 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
the gasket kits and seal kits are separate. There are a few places that sell both. My go to is midatlantic.

And that's why i like labs seals, rubber is just cheap old school. If the bike is a keeper, I would go with the Wossners. Highest quality pistons on the market. :thumbup:

Thanks, I think that's who Charlie recommended, I going to chamfer the crankshaft and output shaft edges so those seals can easily be replaced in the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next