Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

It's probably laquer, most of the touch up is. I like the rustoeum auto primer, as it is enamel based, takes a lot longer to dry, but sticks better as a base than laquer primer. The dupli won't hurt it. And like with any 2k, it a mechanical adesion, so a 400 wet/dry finish on the color coat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:38 pm 

Smokin, let me know how you make out. I do have that forest green touch up paint from my 2001 Dodge 1500. I tried it on a spot & it was too dark, but if you are using it on all your parts it will look nice. I think it's because my spots were so small i couldn't really use a primer, so it came out darker. The original color has more of a olive color then the forest green. I looked at the 2007 green metallic from Chrysler, it looked like it might be close, maybe a touch lighter. LOL! I guess we will both be reporting back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:46 pm 

Well cyclecolor did not work out well. Their match paint was really really dark , not sure why. They did send me a second batch, but both were way too dark. They did refund all of my money, I appreciate that. Car colors were too dark, from what I was able to see. Still will look at some Jeep colors. Nail polish Revlon 220 rain forest came the close, it's a bit too brite.
It did work real well for my small dots, but not as well for my other substantial areas...
Not sure what the nail polish is, Acrylic? but is the best so far. Maybe if the sparkles were a different color...see pictures. A shop said will do it and feather it in for $125. Probaly go that route..
Here's what I started with..
After using Caswell, Marine Tex and the cyclecolor touchup:
Revlon 220, lol:
Revlon bottle next to tank:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:05 pm 

FWIW, a fella on the Canadian board found a Winebago colour that was very close.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:39 am 

If it's closer to mine, please send me the information, i'll try it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 am 

Zambia wrote:
FWIW, a fella on the Canadian board found a Winebago colour that was very close.

I thought maybe rockin' Roland might know a good touch up color Ian?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

That's why candies are almost impossible to match, as the flake is under the color, so it never matches with flake in the color.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:35 pm 

Subaru Outbacks came in a metal flake green that is very close to some of the lighter H1e greens.... as Ja-Moo said the candies are tough to match and the shades from the factory are inconsistent. The candy-tone is a tint in the clear coat and it gets darker as you layer it on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:49 pm 

Not bad for a quick touch up considering the size. I did miss the rear lip where the second repair was, just went over it after these pics. I want to see the tank hold before i spend money on a pro paint job..