Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:24 pm 

Shipped. Check your email for the tracking number.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:44 pm 

Man thanks so much for the gauges!!!! Ive gone thru them and done a bit of a elbow grease restore..and put them on!
I put some LED lights in them, I need to detail the panel a little more.

Heres some more pictures.
Carbs are on, most of the controls, repaired so many little things along the way so far.
Went thru the shift linkage...wanted to make it tight again...was trying to think of how to make a really good fit.....
I drilled the holes out, and made pivot pins by welding thick washers to the end of the same size drill bits, then cutting them down and drilling a hole for the pin.

Ill give everything another polish later...still have to put the tires on etc....
At some point soon Ill be faced with the bodywork, Seat pan had been patched up when I got it years ago, and its crumbled apart now. Thinking about trying to make one.

Also started working on my other project, a KX400

The 400 so far

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 am 

Glad you were able to use the stuff. Looks great!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:57 am 

Ive been working on it here and there, hit some rough spots elsewhere in life.

Done the wiring finally, it was a bit of spaghetti there for a while.

There was a big crush in the left hand pipe thats probably been there the whole time.....
Again, this is just a rider...not a restore....sure if I had the $$ id go for some chrome chambers but.......

I had to go backwards a little to put the new brake shoes in and the new rear tire. Of course I pinched the tube when putting the tire on so now Im waiting on a new tube. (I change all my own tires, but once a year or so is not enough to get it down to a painless process...theres a lot of cussing and screaming and I have about a coin toss chance of wrecking the tube in the process.)
Remember that line from "on any Sunday"......" If you cant change a tire in less than 6 minutes, you cant be competative in the ISDT.."
ok, well there goes that dream.

The headlight assembly is from some sort of Suzuki....never knew that in the 25 years or so Ive owned it...ahh so be it.

My old set of pods are on.

Overall, I will give all the metal another going over....for now I suppose Ill leave the metal in primer....I only put the tailpiece on so I could get the wiring done with the blinkers in place. I dunno we'll see how things go....If I could get my hands on some REAL paint, Id turn my shed into a paint booth and give that a go. EVERYTHING is closed now with the virus crap.
Ive got a truck, a trailer and one motorcycle that I need to do tag and title work for and NO ONE is around to do it. Ive heard some states are forgiving expired tags/inspections for now, but these items have out of state titles and I dont HAVE any tags for them. Thank god thats the sort of things I have to grumble about with this COVID crap...Im still working THANK GOD. If Id have been out of work this long it'd be all over.
Hope everyone is well.

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:49 am 

Good progress!!!
Do yourself a favor and throw those flat backed K&Ns in the trash or keep them to use on a lawnmower. Foam 4 or 6 inch Unis are cheap and you wont be chasing your tail to get it to run right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm 

Tim Steele wrote:
Good progress!!!
Do yourself a favor and throw those flat backed K&Ns in the trash or keep them to use on a lawnmower. Foam 4 or 6 inch Unis are cheap and you wont be chasing your tail to get it to run right.

Thanks for that...I never felt that I could get the jetting right in the past. I guess the flow it to weird with those?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:44 pm 

The way I understand it the flat back air filters disrupt the reversion wave that occurs in a piston port two stroke engine. I know from experience that that they create all kinds of driveability issues that disappeared when I went to the foam Unis. Get the longest that will fit in the space, either 4 or 6 inch. If sidecover clearance is a concern get the 15 degree angled Unis and mount them with the 2 outer filters angled in and the center cylinder angled up.