Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1970 H1 bolt sizes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:41 pm 

Hey all, I'm finally getting back into fixing my 1970 h1. I took it apart around 4 years ago and other projects, life, etc got in the way and it got put on a shelf. I thought I had put all the hardware for it together, but I only put a handful of bolts etc in a bin. I determined this earlier today while I was starting to reassemble everything. Does anyone have a list of what sizes the hardware around the bike is? If so it would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 1970 H1 bolt sizes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:33 pm 

The parts manual, available on the resource site, lists a lot of them. I took only a quick look, but it seems like normal bolts were described OK, and that the specialized ones that you can't just get at a hardware supplier had only the part numbers.

www.kawatriple.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:00 pm 

Jim, thanks for the heads up on that. I guess I skipped over that when I was looking through the mraxl page. What does the parts list mean by "upset" bolts?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:50 pm 

Direct me to a page and part number if you want. It could mean almost anything in that book. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:18 pm 

It refers to the way the bolts head is shaped.
As opposed to being made from turned hex stock, the round stock is basically hammered out to shape it.

From the web, so it HAS TO be right....

Heading or upset forging is a process by which stock, (typically cylindrical), is upset at its end in order to increase the cross section of the material in this area. This metal forging process may be hot, but is often a cold working operation. Cold working will take advantage of the strengthening of the material in the region worked. Unlike upsetting, as discussed under open die forging, upset forging can employ closed die. For typical industrial applications, heading, is mostly performed horizontally, as shown in the diagrams. Heading is a manufacturing process used extensively in the production of fasteners that include nails, screws, nuts and bolts. Due to the enormous quantity of fasteners produced in modern manufacturing industry, heading is the most commonly used metal forging process in the world today. The impression in the head may be forged in either the punch, the die, or both.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:40 am 
Site Admin

You can download a MS Excel file at http://kawatriple.com/files/parts.xls
There is a tab labeled HDWR that list all hardware descriptions and locations for all models and photos of most.