Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Bucket Bike...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:04 pm 

I'll start my build thread with a little bit of the back story. I have a 73H1 and it was my first bike, a barn find, and I was told I could have the bike if I came to pick it up and he'd sign her over. This was some 8 to 9 years ago by now. I remember the excitement of having my first bike, and got acquainted with a lot of you on the old Kaw forum. New to motorcycles and having one of these bikes as a first build, it was more than I was probably able to handle. Having sat since the early 90's, most of you encouraged me to take her down in order to do her right...otherwise I'd be chasing my tail on leaks, pump performance, on the list goes.

I've since had a couple other bikes enter the stable, most of which were runners, that needed going over--these bike have given me a lot of experience with working on bike. I've gotten more familiar working on them, and done lots of repairs over the years on these and others machines. My shop has grown, I've acquired some machining equipment, welding setup, ultrasonic, etc and I'm more than ready to dive in on this bike.

Life has been full and my folks, mom in particular, has had a host of health issues--many that still persist. Its been a challenge to get into the shop, or to even find motivation to tinker. Most times its out of necessity. With all that's been going on, raising a young family, time and money always seems to have kept me from working on this bike. I appreciate a lot of your PM's and corresponding with me--its done wonders to affirm a lot of things and help me through some tough spots; thank you.

Shortly after I got this bike I took her down, labelled everything, put everything in kitty litter buckets, etc, and started in on the frame, and cleaning up the motor. My wife calls this my bucket bike. I sent my cranks out for some lab seals and rework by Damon Kirkland, and I finally came into some side work affording me enough to purchase some forged Wossners and get the top end bored over.

I pulled everything out a few weeks ago, and been finding some renewed enthusiasm for getting this ol gal restored.

I anticipate this build will go somewhat slow, but as I've read, and as a lot of you know, these bikes take a level of commitment 'dedication to preservation' that is not for everyone...a 'ritual flogging ;)' :lol:

So with that I give you 'The Bucket Bike'...

I had started cleaning up the cases some time ago, and have a bit more to do on them...but here is where things are right now. I only set the cranks in there for some motivation.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: The Bucket Bike...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm 

Subscribed, congrats at keeping the bike and now getting started on it. We have all seen abandoned project bikes for sale.

The cases look great, did you ultrasonic clean them?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 pm 

Stev-o wrote:
Subscribed, congrats at keeping the bike and now getting started on it. We have all seen abandoned project bikes for sale.

Thanks! I really can't wait to get some traction on this build!!

Stev-o wrote:
The cases look great, did you ultrasonic clean them?

No ultrasonic. I glass beaded the outside with number 8 which is a medium grit...and then used dully sharpened (using a pencil sharpener) dowel rods with some wd40 and brake cleaner...sort of like an eraser. I also used a straight razor and 0000 steel wool by hand to clean up all of the gasket surfaces and removing the old case bond. It was tedious as can be...i lost track of the beer consumed, but the results are great 8-) i also chased the threads with taps and dies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:55 pm 

:thumbup: Nice work...keep the updates coming!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:04 am 

Hung out with my father-in-law tonight after work--he's a cool cat...went to one of the local watering holes and had a couple beers, burger, fries...good times. For the remainder I worked on cleaning up and finding parts involving the motor, and last night was the transmission. I think I am going to need some bearings--the roller bearings seem fine, its the main cartridge bearings that have some chatter and roughness to them...hardly smooth. I think they have 18k on them.

A couple questions....are these bought one by one or is there a kit out there? recommended suppliers? They look like a press fit or shrunk on there...is that the case?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:16 am 

For the bearings, contact Dave Conforti at Worldwide Bearings. GREAT guy to deal with. Tell him Charlie sent you ;)

As far as setting the crank in the case, that is the PERFECT place to store it. It gives it full support and less risk of damaging it while waiting.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pm 

triple cranks wrote:
For the bearings, contact Dave Conforti at Worldwide Bearings. GREAT guy to deal with. Tell him Charlie sent you ;)

A new set of Tranny Bearings...ordered--all three rollers and bothe needles. Dave Conforti--stand-up fella with all kinds of hustle...had me a paypal invoice within 15 minutes of my quote, product shipped same day. Worldwide Bearings is now in my phone! Thanks for the referral Charlie.

Also ordered and on their way are:
-All sorts of goodies from Fast From the Past...crankcase seals and gasket kits etc to take care of the motor.
-crankcase nuts & lockwashers from Johnny's vintage in Ohio
-case cover bolts from Stainless Cycle found on eBay

Still researching Shift Forks as I will pull the trigger on a set in not too long.

Appreciate all of the contacts fellas. I'm sure I'll have plenty more as I go on with this build.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 pm 

Been going through the gearbox and checking over the gears, and all but first gear seem to be in pretty decent shape. Let me know what you think about the side by sides--left is 18k, right I've been told is around 5k. The left pic with marks on the tooth faces can be felt with a fingernail scratch...I think the pic on the right is the one I should go with.

Attachment:
first gears.jpg

I bought new bearings, removed the old ones, and installed the new. Installation was some light taps with a rubber mallet and a piece of tube butted up against the inner race. Removal was easy, no heat neated...a very light press fit.

Attachment:
bearing removal.jpg

I used assembly lube for all of the mating surfaces.

Attachment:
assembled.jpg

One thing I did notice was a black rubber ring between the inner race of the outboard roller bearing and the spacer bushing that buts up against the sprocket...what was this at one point? It is as thin and small as a tiny rubber band.

Not the most exciting of updates but some progress none-the-less. The talent in rebuilds going on in here is amazing...tough acts to follow and lots to aspire to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 am 

You need that O-ring there, well, a new one, and double-check its installation, some workshop Manuals, including Kawasakis', show it in the wrong place...... :think:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 am 
Site Admin

It is the remnant o fa very thin O ring as was posted. They literally get destroyed when you torque down the sprocket nut.