Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Bucket Bike...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:26 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
It is the remnant o fa very thin O ring as was posted. They literally get destroyed when you torque down the sprocket nut.

I found these on McMaster Carr...100 rings for under 5 bucks...since the o-rings get destroyed anyways, these would probably work?

Attachment:
MCMASTER ORING.jpg

Also took some pics of the dogs on some of the gears...they appear to have been back cut?

What's been the going rate for backcutting?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am 

Waiting on a new set of shift forks to arrive from Diablocycle...I should have what I need then to start getting the motor together. I might try fit some stuff to just make sure i have it all. Kind of a lame update :| Is there something slower than snails pace?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:12 pm 

I strongly recommend NOT using any "moly lube" for either assembly, and/or to supplement transmission oils. Molybdenum Disulfide makes wet clutch plates virtually unusable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:43 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
I strongly recommend NOT using any "moly lube" for either assembly, and/or to supplement transmission oils. Molybdenum Disulfide makes wet clutch plates virtually unusable.

I will ultrasonic my gear train again...you just earned a beer or three if we ever cross paths...man. Thanks for THAT nugget of gold!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 pm 

Well the shift forks finally arrived from Diablo--crazy how long it took...they look amazing though. Other than new clutch discs...this was the last big motor purchase I think I needed. We'll see as time goes by.

I began cleaning up the heads and jugs a while back...they were really bad oil covered burned on dirt, dust, road tar--just aweful. I did a preliminary on the jugs before the machining work...hindsight being 20/20, I should have brought them home and finished them to 'installation-ready' before having the machine work done. Right now they only need a light cleaning, but still have a lot of oxidation and surface finish irregularities, crusty's that I've scraped off. Going to hit them gently with some fine glass beads. Blinded off the jugs and will finish them up in the next couple of days. Will pressure wash them and ultrasonically clean them when all said and done in the 'Simple Green'.

I have the 50# Harbor Freight blast tank and use it in conjunction with an old stationary tub, an old window pane...it works ok, so far has done the job, but seems to be more trouble than its worth. I am contemplating buying a blast cabinet...I don't really know how they work or a decent basic model.

Here is a pic of the jugs and heads now...the pic isn't the best quality--my old phone only does 'so-good'.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 pm 

The bead blasted parts look good. However, vapor blasting would give it the ultimate finish. I regret not doing it to my H1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:53 am 

Stev-o wrote:
The bead blasted parts look good. However, vapor blasting would give it the ultimate finish. I regret not doing it to my H1.
Does Vapor blasting preserve like annodizing? I've only casually ready about it in a couple different posts. What were your regrets other than ultimate in finish? I am looking to do the best i can with what I have...with that, here are some general befores and afters...these before shots were actually cleaned up a bit too...this bike as found was a mess. The second shot is an impromptu blasting media agitator to encourage flow...it worked really great and improved blasting performance IMMENSELY. I also elevated the blast media tank as well which probably helped out. Also attached a pic of my new shift forks from Diablocycle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:30 am 

I have the small bench top cabinet filled with glass beads. It makes a real nice finish but you had better have a big air compressor to really make it work proper as it is a huge air eater. The vapor blast people that do it will tell you that it "micro seals" the pores of the metal making it a finish that doesn't stain or corrode. I vapor blasted my cylinders but they have yet to see the light of day so I cannot report on how well they are holding up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:54 am 

I do bead blasting on the automotive distributors I convert from points to small-body HEI, MSD Trigger Only and EFI-HEI. the issue with bead blasting is, it opens metal "pores" when it abraides the metal, which is a clear path to capture and hold of any dirt, oils, greases, road dirt. Distributors are very easy to alter the bead blasted finish to close those newly cleaned pores, so the connection of contaminants doesn't occur, simply by using a Brillo pad over the blasted areas.

With our finned areas, and some other places not easily accessed, that isn't the best way to do it, vapor blasting IS. With the Brillo padded bead blasted aluminum, oils, grease, grime, and dirt literally wipe off easily.

Leaving bead blasted metal pores open is just inviting contaminant retention.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:52 pm 

Been way too long! But not giving up on this build. Funny how the currents of life ebb and flow. Lost my mom three years ago, dad needed open heart, got past that, then prostate cancer, free and clear of that...cue the teenage years with two girls...man life's been so full, but along the way taught me alot about myself. Let's see...where was I...

Shortly after receiving my new shift forks, I had the jugs machined for a set of new Wossner forged pistons...them mom started having all of the complications that come with Parkinson's and I had to pause the bike for some hard times and life at its fullest.

I find myself drawn back to the bike and shifted my efforts to a rolling chassis. Been setting a small goals of "a little bit daily" no matter how small and making strides. So far I have the frame, swingarm, chaingaurd, footrests, kickstand and triple tree cleaned up.

I installed the tapered roller bearing kit from All Balls Racing.

My goal before priming and painting is to fully assemble the rolling chassis to make sure all of my parts are present, accounted for, as well as cleaned up. I feel comfortable with the path I'm on and have been making some really great progress. Pics to follow soon when I figure out a good image hosting site to pic from.

Good to be back on the horse.