Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:05 pm 

So I've been driving my H1 for about a week now. Tweaking and tuning the carbs, short rides, checking plugs...etc.
My impressions after about 20 miles of running (don't want to go too far from home yet)
Starts nice, first kick, runs nice. Kick start is higher than I remember, my legs don't want to go that high anymore. Almost fell off the bike when I wanted to start it in gear, pulled the clutch and kicked....whoa nothing was there. Didn't know it had to be in neutral with the clutch out to start it.
Running - Was too rich at first, had to adjust needle heights. Then one cylinder a bit too lean so I adjusted that needle back.
Brakes - well not the ABS I have on my 2015 Vulcan S but they stop me.
Shifting - takes a bit to get used to 5 up, not 1 down 5 up.
Seat - firm but comfortable
Handling - Ok for a 1974 bike, seems geared a bit too high, running around town @ 30mph I only need second gear (3000-4000rpm?). Rear sprocket has 45 teeth, didn't count the front one yet, might have 15 according to a photo I snapped
Acceleration - pulls ok through 4k then takes off real nice after that. Sounds great too.
Took it to a couple buddies that I know used to have them, they drooled, haha.
Still want to fiddle with it and get it running just perfect. (in between other jobs)

But I don't know what I want to do with it now. It's fun to ride, but not as fun as my Vulcan.
Vulcan has just as much power (but won't do street racing wheelies), ABS brakes, fuel injection, fuel gauge and electric start.
H1E has better sound, different look, different riding position (not sure if it's better or not) probably higher top end but I don't drive over 170 anymore and new bike costs another $425 in insurance. I don't really want to insure 2 bikes.
I had a great time restoring it and if I had a place to properly store it, I'd keep it just to look at it like a fine piece of art.
I'll drive it for a few weeks more then decide what to do with it.
In any case, I'm so happy I took on this project.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1981 KZ440C recently restored
1974 H1E Restored and sold
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650
2012 Polaris Sportsman
5 Good Months of Riding in my part of Canada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:47 pm 

It looks really good. It's a shame you don't like riding it enough to want to keep it. When I get on my H2 I always feel like I'm 20 again. I have other motorcycles that have the advantages that modern ones have, but they don't have the memories and extreme nature of a triple.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 pm 

"extreme nature", that's the good description I've been looking for! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 am 

Beautiful bike, looks like you did a nice job on the restoration.

Kinda surprised you dont want two bikes, especially since they are so differant.

But understand insurance can be expensive in Canada...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:14 pm 

It's always a shame to sell a bike, especially a nice one like that.