Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:46 pm 

Guys (and any Gals?) Been lurking here ever since I made a deal to get my '74 S3 back from the friend I sold it to in 1975. He never transfered the title...so it's still in my name! It's actually in pretty decent shape, having sat in a Barn for most of about 40 years! :o
I worked as a Service Trainer for Kawasaki at their Disctribution Center in Plymouth, MN. from '73 to 75. Left when they moved everything to Lincoln, as I chose not to move there from Minnesnowta. Anyway, Kawi had an agreement with Dunstall to provide them with their Cafe Racer kits for the H series. One came in damaged and so it was going in the dumpster. I "appropriated it", patched it up (it didn't look that good in bright YELLOW anyway), had it repainted, etc. I'd done some time as an engine modifier in the halcyon days of snowmobiling and MotoX, flat trackers, so I ported, reeded and added Werges (SP?) Pipes. The thing was a rocket ship! Then I sold it to a fellow MX'r from flat and treeless N. Dakota. It didn't take him long to figure out that a Cafe racer in central N.D. wasn't really THAT much fun.

2-3 yrs. ago I was talking to that same guy by phone and he mentioned that he still had it. I immediately told him I'd LOVE to get it back. With some horse trading, we consumated a deal and I dragged it home last Sept. He'd gone thru a torrential downpour on his way to meet me and so I pulled the Cylinders off to check it out. Center pot was lightly seized (He'd said it wouldn't pull 5th gear- HUH?) When i pulled the jugs off I found the center case FULL of water! YIKES! I dried it all out as best I could and poured motor oil in all 3 cases full and set about lurking here and trying to figure out what me next steps should be? I looked at sites about testing the crank seals, but knowing in my heart of hearts that anything that had sat this long probably needed new seals. Then I began to pull it all the way down. When I pulled the left case cover off I found about a 1/2" of oil in the bottom and that kind of made my decision to get the crank rebuild.
So I have it pretty well completely dis-assembled, marked, boxed and I'm continuing to clean things up and polish the brite-work. It won't be a garage queen, nor a show bike, but I suspect that anywhere I go the triple noise (did I mention that after modification it will rev to 12k?) with the expansion chambers will announce my arrival. Should be a hoot in the right situation? I just don't want to register for the Greenday parade!
Well, I typed most of this in once about 6 wks. ago and it never showed up...so I hope it does this time!
I tried to add photos from Photobucket (over the last 30 minutes) but the system rejected them. Something about some Vectors or something. So maybe another time?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:51 pm 

I'll try the photos one more time and then I give up! Sorry, Got this:
The extension html is not allowed.
The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector.
All I'm doing is clicking on the pic in PhotoBucket and then copying the address bar and pasting it into the "filename" bar below. What am I doing wrong?
:banghead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:44 am 

4 Dog knight wrote:
All I'm doing is clicking on the pic in PhotoBucket and then copying the address bar and pasting it into the "filename" bar below. What am I doing wrong?

Copy the image URL directly into your post.

It's good to meet you, 4DK.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:12 am 

Those look to be some interesting reed cages you have on that bike.

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:50 am 

Those are some old GEM cages that my friend at Kawi used when he modified Snowmobiles. (We both worked two of the same places at different times and didn't meet until he joined me at Kawi!) Anyway, those are some early Boyesen dual stage reeds. The outer, smaller reed is a thinner material so it opens more easily at lower RPM. The inners are thicker, so at higher rpm that overcome the smaller ones and open the whole cage opening. I also think that lengthening the intake tract aided low end torque. The extra porting over the intake also served to keep ramming intake mixture directly into the combustion chamber until the piston closed off the transfers. That's what J-Moo is doing today.

It came on hard and buried the 12k mechanical drive tach. Whatta Whoop-Whoop sound!!! :e11

BIG THANKS to Kawi3cyl. for posting these for me 'til I get this sorted out!!!
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/kevin ... g.html?o=0
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/kevin ... g.html?o=0
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/kevin ... g.html?o=1

Sorted...I think. This is the ugly center cyl. that was seized, but it still represents the port work.

Last edited by 4 Dog knight on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:06 am 

Cool background story with the buybacks nice pic of the bike Cool :thumbup: I like the short chambers , what are they?

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:10 am 

4 Dog knight wrote:
Those are some old GEM cages that my friend at Kawi used when he modified Snowmobiles. (We both worked two of the same places at different times and didn't meet until he joined me at Kawi!) Anyway, those are some early Boyesen dual stage reeds. The outer, smaller reed is a thinner material so it opens more easily at lower RPM. The inners are thicker, so at higher rpm that overcome the smaller ones and open the whole cage opening. I also think that lengthening the intake tract aided low end torque. The extra porting over the intake also served to keep ramming intake mixture directly into the combustion chamber until the piston closed off the transfers. That's what J-Moo is doing today.
It came on hard and buried the 12k mechanical drive tach. Whatta Whoop-Whoop sound!!! :e11

BIG THANKS to Kawi3cyl. for posting these for me 'til I get this sorted out!!!

Sorted...I think. This is the ugly center cyl. that was seized, but it still represents the port work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:33 am 

4 Dog knight wrote:
It came on hard and buried the 12k mechanical drive tach.

Don't put too much faith in the accuracy of the original Kaw tachs. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:36 am 

Interesting mount on a 400. I have John's stage 2 kit on my 400 with boost ports and 360 degree intake, 30mm carbs, along with some other cylinder mods. It runs amazing. :thumbup:

I'd say Jim is correct on the tach. With all my mods mine has, it struggles to spool full power past 9500 from what my tach tells me.

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)