Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 am 

You'd be way better off adapting a later EX caliper and 1/2" master cylinder than adding the weight of a double disk setup. Some information is here: http://kawatriple.com/caliper/400conv.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:54 pm 

4 Dog knight wrote:
LOL! :lol: He's my last pooch left over from my Dog Sledding team. He's part Shepherd and Siberian, but he pulls like a HORSE. Had him since he was a Pup and he learned from the sibes how to pull and run, but I can let him loose and he won't run like a Sibe will. He's now transitioned to Ski-Joring...when we have enough snow! He keeps me more fit, as I take him on daily jaunts by ski's or bicycle.

Triple content: Anybody know IF S3 and H1 forks are the same? I'd like to add a second disc to my S3 and H1's seem to have the brake bosses on both fork legs. Anybody done that conversion? I'd need a dual disc splitter and another disc and caliper, + obvious lines, etc. Worthwhile endeavor?

If you're after performance a single EX brake set up is the cat's butt :thumbup: best improvement on my bike , H1 forks are fatter and longer than S3.

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 pm 

Jim and Jackman,
THANKS for the input on the EX500 brake conversion!

Without assuming too much, do you convert the brake caliper and the larger diameter disc as a pair?

Also, Are all the EX500 years the same, or is there a specific range needed? Looks like they can be had on Ebay for around $25 for the caliper!

Will the S3 brake pot power the 500 caliper if used?

The rotors on Ebay all seem to be 6 bolt hubs VS. the 4 bold on the S3? Are the older model EX500's 4 bolt?

4 Dog

Last edited by 4 Dog knight on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:31 pm 

No need for a different disk as far as I know. You probably need the caliper and a matching 1/2" master cylinder, both cheap on eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 pm 

Jim,
Sorry for my naivete...but is the 1/2 in. the bore of the EX500 BRAKE CYLINDER?? Would that be a 12mm?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 am 

It's my understanding that the stock Ninja single disk setups (some were dual disk) used 1/2" bore master cylinders. I don't have one of those to know if it's really 1/2" (12.7mm) or if it's 13mm, etc. Maybe someone here has measured one. If you're shopping for master cylinders, I don't think you'd really notice much difference between 12mm and 13mm anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm 

Jim,
I did notice that on Ebay that there were some Left calipers so I figured there must be some Dual disc units out there? It appears that the design of the EX500 pads have substantially more surface area than do the S3 "two round disks" design. That in itself would probably make them a better choice. If you and others say it is better...I believe it!

I was just wondering IF the EX discs were a larger diameter which would allow for more leverage on the wheel.
4 dog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:33 pm 

As I said above, some EX setups were dual, so yes, both L and R calipers are available. I really don't know the diameter(s) of EX disks, but they won't fit a triple's hub, if that's what you're thinking.

I rode Ja-Moo's very fast H1 with a single EX setup, and after having a stock dual setup on my H2, I had to use one finger to avoid overbreaking for turns. I don't think disk diameter is something to worry about. Just make sure you use EBC HH pads.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:00 pm 

Skijoring? Have never head of that [not much snow in TX] had to look it up.

Wow, that must be fun! Just put on bucket list on my next trip to Colorado!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHKhqvyx6s

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:24 pm 

Jim,
Thanks for your multi-answers! I'll start a diligent search for an EX500 Master/ caliper combo.

Steve,
Ski joring IS a hoot! I often start a ski with my pooch Gus without having him hooked to the harness so he can pee on any and EVERY bush or tree he wants to. One morning I'd just hooked him up and 5 deer crossed the trail in front of us. Now THAT was a quick acceleration! A Guyz gotta do something to stay "in shape" especially as I get further into my latter 60's. It's ALL Fun!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next