Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:38 pm 

When I was a kid I used to see cars pulling sleds around the neighborhood on snowy nights. :lol:

The resource site has a page that lists tons of Kawasakis that used the same caliper we're talking about. My Ninja 250 uses it, for example, so you're not limited to EX500s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:08 am 

Jim
My dad towed us around on the frozen lake (about 12+ in. Thick) with his 52 Chevy P.U. While pulling an old car hood! How far we've come! I have a 1989 (?) EX250 in the pole shed! I wondered about IF that was the same as Kawi used a TON of the same parts on various models.
I'll look for that listing here. Still learning the site and it's guys like you that are SO helpful!
THANKS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:56 am 

There's a sledding hill near where I grew up, outside of DC a few miles. It's long and steep. One night when I was in my 20s I was there with a girlfriend and my sled, and a group of guys came flying down the hill on a car hood while I was walking up. I stayed far away from that hood, and kept my eyes on it the rest of the night. I could envision getting sheared off at the ankles if I got in the way of that thing.

My 2005 Ninja 250's caliper is one of the part numbers that works. I looked up the part number for an '89 and some Google images of that number look right and others look a little different, with a different mounting bracket. If you take a good look at yours and compare it to a known one that's OK, you should be able to tell if it's right. Here's one that is the type that can be adapted with the instructions on the resource site. It's made to me mounted behind (the engine side) the right fork slider, so a spot on the disk comes past the small piston first. The left side version looks very similar, but the small and big pistons are swapped.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:47 pm 

Jackman,
Sorry I missed your question on the pipes before! They are Wirges or Werges...crap it's been over 40 yrs. since I bought them! DEAF-inately going to have to re-pack those end baffles before I put it back on the street!
I stripped the paint off of them and then started with a grinding/buffing/polishing set of 4 in. grinder wheels from H.F. They've ended up looking like they are chromed...at least from 5 ft.! :| I'm thinking I'll shoot them with some woodstove clear gloss coating I found on line that is supposed to be good up to about 500+ degrees F. That may not be nough for the headers, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:41 am 

Jim,
I took your advice...AND used your photo to choose an Ebay Buy it now caliper and handlebar lever/hydraulic cyl. combo for under $40. Thanks all for your help and suggestions!

My 2005 Ninja 250's caliper is one of the part numbers that works. I looked up the part number for an '89 and some Google images of that number look right and others look a little different, with a different mounting bracket. If you take a good look at yours and compare it to a known one that's OK, you should be able to tell if it's right. Here's one that is the type that can be adapted with the instructions on the resource site. It's made to me mounted behind (the engine side) the right fork slider, so a spot on the disk comes past the small piston first. The left side version looks very similar, but the small and big pistons are swapped.

Image[/quote]