Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Baffle wrap
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 am 

Ok, please remember, I was asked for my input on this.

I have seen no difference in noise output, nor dampening between packing vs no packing. The ONLY reason the factory added the packing was to attempt to dampen adverse harmonics in the exhaust system, that were found to not actually exist in stock exhaust pipes/baffles.

In AMA noise testing on stock bikes being raced, the dB difference between packed and bare baffles was literally undetectable.

To have been the help it is touted to be, and not just the oily mess of a pain it really is, the packing would need to cover the entire length of the baffle, and we all know it doesn't.

The only reason a silencer for an expansion chamber is wrapped it's full length is those center pressure relief tubes known as silencers are fully hollow, and even packed, are still a full on stinger tube. A stock baffle, as shown above, is a true labyrinth, not fully open as the chamber silencer is, which both quiets and dampens effectively without the packing. Exhaust gasses in stock pipes/baffles are diverted into and out of quieting/damping cavities along their travels out the exhaust pipes.

The most important thing is, do you want to use the packing? If yes, go for it, if not, go for it. I also see NO difference between the expensive water heater blanket filler packaged as special, or, the filler from a much lower cost water heater blanket purchased from Home Depot, except the price, none. From my experience, the only things the packing becomes, and does, is become an oily, dirty mess, and plug up holes in the baffle with all that goo.

Edit: I sure dislike the spell checker on my SMART phone, it just doesn't spell stuff the way I want it to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 pm 

Noise testing on a track is different to a street bike situation. Testing a H2 for noise will pick up clutch rattling and fin ringing as much as the exhaust. I regularly re-wrapped both stock and chambered exhausts on my street H2 , and that attenuated the exhaust noise significantly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 pm 

I seem to have been re-informed.

The AMA testing was on a few different stock Kawasaki motorcycles, both H1 and H2, stock pipes, dB meter held in place at a 45 degree angle from the baffle outlet hole, 15 feet away from the outlet, @ 2,500 rpm's. Motorcycles were sitting stationary. This was for a full stock racing class.

The AMA also set up other dB meters at track side, measured from there as bikes raced by, still no difference.

They also tested full race bikes, as the rules were new for requiring mufflers on all bikes raced, stock, or purpose racing.

One of the tools I keep in my race tool box is a good dB meter, so I can test dB levels of exhaust systems. I use that meter even today, and it has not shown differences in wrapped, and not wrapped stock baffles.

As I said, do as you wish. Please let me do it the way I have proven to me, that which works for me.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
Ok, please remember, I was asked for my input on this.

I thought we were ALL being asked for input? I saw NO post that said "Tuner please tell me your thoughts" . . . Or was it a PM ? :think:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 pm 

I was referring to a street bike situation, testing here is side on to the bike, and engine noise is a factor in measuring noise output. Over the years I have had to meet local law enforcement requirements, and have been able to pass with freshly wrapped baffles, and I have to say an understanding and good humoured tester. There are minor concessions for OLD bikes, same as there are concessions for pollution control for example. I have to assume the original poster was referring to a street bike situation, so how what the AMA did years ago is relevant, I am not sure. I know that freshly packed baffles attenuated the exhaust noise effectively. :|

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 pm 

RB, please refer to the 7th post in this topic, by Jackman.

I apologize, I would have copied and pasted Jackman's post, but I am on the Devil SMART phone, and I don't know how to do that on this thing.

Everyone, please be aware that I have been involved with research and development in a very large number of areas of both auto and motorcycle development for over 45 years, and still work in those areas today. I have been involved in one heck of a lot of those projects most people either have no idea ever took place, or are aware of. All sorts of things that might suggest no direct connection to things we are concerned with, but directly are. Please don't hold that against me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:21 am 

Looks like supertrapp having being wasting YEARS of testing and should just have asked Tuner instead . . . .
www.supertrapp.com/images/pdfs/Muffler-Packing-FAQ.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:29 am 

Nice personal attack, RB. Thank you for being your usual sarcastic self. Too bad you didn't do testing over the years, you could have enjoyed being bashed for doing so by others like yourself, sir.

Done with this.

OP, do as you so desire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:15 pm 

My understanding of this is limited, but I was told that it's not the noise level but the tone, some bikes sound loader than others, yet don't register as loud as others on the meter:wtf:

I've seen this many times when being a marshall(organising)at historic race meetings and listen to some of the old pommie(English) bikes go by and think how come they don't trigger the sound meter, yet the next bike goes by which sounds quieter does, so could the tone have something to do with it.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW