Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:53 am 

Hi , I painted my side covers and tailpiece a beautiful golden candy brown yesterday, than shot glamour clear epoxy over the side covers and tried to apply the decals on the tailsection! . I got wrinkles and bubbles and everything else in them and when I tried to peal it off it took the candy and base coat off in one spot!!! What's the trick to applying decals, especially when doing a candy paint w epoxy clear that's supposed to be applied w/ in 12 hrs over the candy coat!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Admin

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/tips/decaltip.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:08 am 

I am/was a spray-painter, and generally don't like to contradict instructions on the can, but, after your base-coat goes on, you want a bit of time for the solvents to dissipate, a few hours in general terms. then 1 coat of clear, and let that dry through, before you apply decals......... THEN you can hit it with clear, 1 coat, let it flash off, another coat, etc. Put the decals onto cured paint, then don't load too much clear onto the decals all at once. Patience is the key word. This applies whether you are using a pressure pack/spray can or two-pack type finish.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:11 am 

Yeah, good advice, particularly with regard to the time factor on mraxl's link!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:55 am 

Thanks for the advice and suggestions !! Should've asked before I tried the tail section! The side covers came out perfect and I guess the tailpeice will to when I repaint it and don't apply decals(cause I destroyed them and pretty sure RB doesn't sell just the tailpiece decals)!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:58 am 

A7RA wrote:
(cause I destroyed them and pretty sure RB doesn't sell just the tailpiece decals)!!

- Sure I do, but the expensive part is the shipping . . . mail me at : KawaParts@aol.com with what you need . .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

It never hurts to ask here first, if you have a question, even about so called "easy" things. That's why we are here...... :thumbup: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:53 am 

Just thought I'd try to figure out how to do a candy paint scheme w/ decals for my first attempt !!! It's been a fun trip turning this rusty neglected 75 H1f into a beautiful & hopefully dependable survivor/ rider. It came w/ rusty chrome denco chambers that cleaned up reasonably well as did most of the chrome, there are a few scrapes here and there but didn't all of the triples earn there scrapes! Just a few mods such as modern rubber, ex brakes, longer shocks, swingarm bushings, tapered rollers in the stem etc!! I pulled the engine apart and checked everything and resealed the lower end and cleaned up all the ports on the top end, rebuilt the carbs and petcock, clean and inspected all the wiring and straightened out the rusty bodywork so I assumed I could handle the paint and decals also and I learned how not to apply decals already!! Thanks again for the advice and RB thanks I'll email you about the replacement decals but I may shoot two tailpieces and use the one w/ out the decals primarily! Thought they looked better up thru 74 w the naked tail!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:21 am 

All good, the thing with painting is to follow the instructions, and give yourself plenty of time. It is something that looks easy but has traps for the novice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:01 am 

Yep found one already! But it's going to be nice to say I did everything on the bike! Really haven't worked much on triples since I stopped racing and we sold our Kawasaki shop in 77! Have restored the A7RA, H1RA and an American Eagle Savage (A7ss) and have 2 more AE projects,, a couple A7 projects and a couple S3 to go after I finish the H1f !! PS my girlfriend is interested in learning to ride so I might have to get around to fixing up Darren's old S3 for her after I replace the pulsars on the Krober ignition on the H1ra and get it fired up!!