Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: H1, 1970
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:22 pm 

On the 90s you can get Metzeler. ME 33 with soft gum which was very convenient for road use. But they stopped to make soft ME 33 at the beginning of the 21st century :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:51 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
BazNSW wrote:
Just my 2 cents, the most impotant tyre is the front, so I've always put a race compound on the front for good grip and a touring/standard compound on the rear.

I don't know about all race tires, but the Avon and Dunlop vintage racing tires require a warm up lap, and require racing speeds to get to a temp of good traction. Which is not really good on the street. Imho. I know when i was racing, I had to be judicial as the tires were a bit greasy until up to temp.

My choice back then were Metzeler, Michelin or Pirelli for the track, although I did have Avons on my H1 for a while with an Avon blue dot on the front can't remember what I had on the back, they were OK from memory, might have been a Yokohama on the back.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

Last edited by BazNSW on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 pm 

A bit of nostalgia for you! When I raced a H2 in the early '70's, we would run 18/20 lbs of air in the tyres, in the belief the tyres would heat up quickly, and get sticky. It worked to a degree (sorry), in that it was REAL squirrely for a couple of laps, then things were fine! I ran Yokohama and Bridgestone tyres, which was VERY unfashionable at the time, but if you did well in a race nobody came up to you and said anything about the tyres! Plenty of advice about the "rim protectors" before the race tho!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:09 am 

on the later 70s we got Michelin PZ2 gum on tyres which was in fact kind of racing tyres but on the Michelin catalog as road tyres :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Very helpful for racing 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 pm 

Enough said about tyres, lets see what we can do about them:

Rear wheel:
First part is easy. Rear wheel is 4.10-18H and according to what's written on the wall, you must be aware of direction of rotation.
No fuss getting this far without using tire levers:
I hate tire levers, way too easy to get the tube squezed btw. tire lever and rim, unless you are very careful, and you use fingers to feel.
A big tire lever is also very good at making marks in the original re-chromed Tagasako rims :roll:

A new tube of course:
In lack of better knowledge, I use the same approch as when I'm fixing a normal bicycle:
- I pump a little bit of air in tube, so I remains "straight" when pushed into tire.
- I start by tighten nut for the valve, so tube is held down to rim. Then I start working on the bead adjacant to valve.

Tube in place now:

I liked the look of the bead protectors protuding from rim, but I dislike the weight of 2 of these things in my rear wheel, so I cut them into a small piece using a hacksaw, and then I shaped the rubber so it will be squezed tightly to rim,
when the nut is tightened from the outside:

This is how far I got without using a tire lever, thanks to wifey's liquid potassium soap:

Using a tire levers once close to where the bead is actually in place, will make you do the last part by hand.
Finished:

Same procedure for front wheel 3.60-19 H (which for some reason in NOT uni-directional)

Standing on my own "feet" for the first time in 2,5 years:

More updates, next weekend

Drive safely!

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970
Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1992

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:21 pm 

Nice work, the bike looks brilliant, I don't remember K81s being directional, ya learn something every day.

Personally I wouldn't use the bead locks, PITA they are, so I took both out and plugged the holes, I don't think you need them for a road bike.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:44 pm 

BazNSW wrote:
Nice work, the bike looks brilliant, I don't remember K81s being directional, ya learn something every day.

Personally I wouldn't use the bead locks, PITA they are, so I took both out and plugged the holes, I don't think you need them for a road bike.

Thanks Baz!
You're right about the bead locks, but I could not figure out how to block the holes and still have the rim to look nice :?:

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:17 pm 

900SL wrote:
BazNSW wrote:

Thanks Baz!
You're right about the bead locks, but I could not figure out how to block the holes and still have the rim to look nice :?:

There are rubber plugs for those holes, I bought some from this mob, there must be a place in the States that has them, your local bike shop maybe, my local didn't have any so I got them off this Ebay store.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PACK-2-MOTORCYCLE-WHEEL-RIM-HOLE-PLUGS-KIT-RUBBER-PLUG-OFF-ROAD-DIRT-BIKE-MX-/331537743822

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:07 am 

BazNSW wrote:
900SL wrote:
BazNSW wrote:

Thanks Baz!

There are rubber plugs for those holes, I bought some from this mob, there must be a place in the States that has them, your local bike shop maybe, my local didn't have any so I got them off this Ebay store.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PACK-2-MOTORCYCLE-WHEEL-RIM-HOLE-PLUGS-KIT-RUBBER-PLUG-OFF-ROAD-DIRT-BIKE-MX-/331537743822

Wow - thanks Baz, Much appreciated. I will order some, just to have them handy.

Btw. I'm located in Northern Europe - Scandinavia. But Fleabay works everywhere, Thank God :lol:

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:44 pm 

900SL wrote:
BazNSW wrote:
900SL wrote:
BazNSW wrote:

Thanks Baz!

Wow - thanks Baz, Much appreciated. I will order some, just to have them handy.

Btw. I'm located in Northern Europe - Scandinavia. But Fleabay works everywhere, Thank God :lol:

Sorry, just went into auto mode, you know US forum, most are American :roll: .

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next