Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: H1, 1970
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:10 pm 

I don't have a correct centerstand for a 1970, the one which came with my bike, is from a a later version. And besides I don't intend to mount the centerstand anyway.

But, the takeaway here, IMO is: Do you want a tire which gives you, say 10-15% more adherence , but when it loses grip a does that suddenly, or do you want a tire with maybe 15 less grip, but which starts slipping a bit sometime before it loses grip completely, and it that sense, kinda gives you a warning.

Or can you have both ?

Seems as the K81 / TT100 belongs in the first category...

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970
Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1992

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:05 pm 

I am pretty sure any modern tyre will outperform anything you can do with a H1 Kawasaki. Back in the day we production raced a H1, and at the time, against all advice, we used Bridgestone and Yokohama tyres with a fair degree of success. I wouldn't be concerned about using any of the current tyre available. I won a couple of races on 1971 model Yokohama "World Tour" tyres, and those things were NOT "soft compound".....I am not sure they were even rubber!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

One thing not taken into consideration, is riding style. The old style uppie-downie riding style ends up with a lot more lean angle that the more modern hanging off style. Which makes a very big difference in cornering traction and foot print.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:58 pm 

Just my 2 cents, the most impotant tyre is the front, so I've always put a race compound on the front for good grip and a touring/standard compound on the rear.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:02 pm 

BazNSW wrote:
Just my 2 cents, the most impotant tyre is the front, so I've always put a race compound on the front for good grip and a touring/standard compound on the rear.

Good point, Baz, your'e right :)

As i remember it, my trackday Ducati was set up that way too, regardless of whether I used Pirelli Dragon, Metzeler or Dunlop Sportmax

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 pm 

I don't know Baz, that sounds like a possible recipe for a high side. If it works for you, no problem, it just came to mind that having less traction on the rear than the front could be a problem for some people (like me).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:54 pm 

As described here http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12436&p=124780#p124780 I was relieved to learn that petcock performance is sufficient:

Luckily, I'm not doing this for a living, cuz' I would have starved to death :D

Time to give the ignition system some attention:

When I got the bike - back in 2007, it still had the original Diamond TU-29 coils. I've kept them of course, but I have bought 3 new ones, which are now fitted.

The main components, except from coils, HT cords and caps, can be seen here:

The wiring harness was in good condition, apart from the outher protection tube, which I of course renewed. Pretty ackward job!

I Also renewed the contact breaker points and the condensers, which are in fact the same as on a H1B.

Carbon brush and holder looked OK after a cleaning, and there was plenty of carbon left.
Rotor was cleaned carefully, by hand and inspected. As it looked OK with no scars or broken wires (judging from a visual inspect only) it was re-fitted.

The central cam actuating the 3 breaker points looked to be in very good condition for it's age. With a micrometer screw, I measeured the differences in diameter around the cam to be approx. 0.05 mm, so it will be slightly polished by hand, and then reused.
The whole assembly looks very "busy":

Some screws still in need of replacement.
But apart from this, I'm ready to start doing the ignition timing for the very first time :o
Luckily I've got this one to help me:
+ plus some audio device to indicate when points begings to open.

But still a very tedious task, I guess

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:12 pm 

That is some nice work mate :thumbup:

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:41 am 

Thanks Baz :)

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 am 
Site Admin

BazNSW wrote:

I don't know about all race tires, but the Avon and Dunlop vintage racing tires require a warm up lap, and require racing speeds to get to a temp of good traction. Which is not really good on the street. Imho. I know when i was racing, I had to be judicial as the tires were a bit greasy until up to temp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next