Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: H1, 1970
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:56 pm 

Zambia wrote:
Very nice! And that looks like a lot of work....no wonder I'm procrastinating!

Thanks Zambia - actually not that much work. What took time, was figuring out how to do it.
It's crucially for your bikes handling, so jump into it, and do send me a PM if you need advise

/Peter aka 900SL

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970
Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1992

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 pm 

Well those fork tubes should not remain lying on that floor for too long, better get them mounted:

And this is how it looks when tubes and fender in place:

Front fender was in very good original condition,some gentle polishing with a rotating polishing wheel did the trick. The flip side was sanded down and some layers of silver coat was applied. Again, I deviate from the 100% originality thing, as I use Nyloc muttors instead of ordinary ones + spring washers, which I think is hopeless. I intend to drive the bike when finished, at least on Sundays ;) and besides, you can't tell when looking from the outside.

The black fork covers / ears were in fact in such good condition, so they were'nt even repainted.
But as I use tapered roller bearings instead of the originals (which looks as something from a childs bicycle), you have to shim the ears, as porschedave also mentioned earlier in this thread.

The fork top bolts were rechromed, and all rubber /seals were renewed.

I had to buy a new lock cylinder complete with keys (not cheap) as it was missing when I bought the bike. I can almost guess why :roll:

Better get started rebuilding those wheels, stay tuned ...

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:39 pm 

I did not shoot that many pics when I rebuild my wheels (I simply forgot) Also there’s a lot of articles about this topic in bike magazines and loads of videos on YouTube for instance, so I will not dwell deeply into the technics, but instead share some notes and tricks which helped me.

If you scroll back to some of my first pics, you will see that the rear rim is some Borrani alloy rim, which was very nice, but not original. I still have it, if someone is interested…
The front rim however was the original Takasako rim. I managed to get hold on a complete rear wheel in my neighbor country Sweden. There are many more dedicated Kawa enthusiast in Sweden, than in Denmark, The even have a club, with a very active discussion forum http://www.classickawasaki.se But I guess you will not be able to understand much of it ;)
With 2 used, but good rims, it was just a matter of handing them over to the chrome shop and wait forever. In the meantime you can start saving up a few bucks, cause cheap it aint :banghead

Anyway, he did a nice job as always :clap:

Before you take the wheels apart, do remember to
- Take some pics which will show you the pattern of the spokes and how they are laced.
- Keep a least one outer and one inner spoke from both wheels. This will make it easier to ensure that your new ones are right.
Like this:

Before-image of wheel

I use mild steel spokes for my rebuild. In the beginning I was biased towards stainless, but I ended up using mild steel. Can’t remember why. Of course it was not stainless back in the 70ties, but as I remember it, I read something not in favour of stainless – are they too brittle ?

Anyway I got a nice set of spokes and nipples from Ralf Gille in Germany.

Here we are ready to start laceing a rear wheel:

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:57 pm 

Some time later:

Half of the spokes are laced, and I've already started celebrating with a good Danish brewed Bock beer. I'm more of an IPA guy, but...

A little later and some more beer, we have a nicely laced rear wheel:

Time for some Do's and Dont's:

Do
- apply som copper grease to the tread before on-screwing the nipple.
Spokes are mild steel and nipples are most likely some Brass alloy, so over time these will corrode a bit

- get yourself a decent spoke wrench, it cost a few bucks

- tighten all spokes lightly but evenly when finished lacing

Don't
- Use an ordinary wrench for the nipples. Either it's too large or has too many sharp edges, which can scratch you lovely new chromed rims

- Necessarily buy a fancy jig for trueing wheels, You can do nicely with the forks legs on your bike, I'll show this later.

- Expect a 30+ years old rim to run within 1/1000 inch when you have finished truing it.
Unless you intend to break the land speed record for old two-strokes, you can do with less

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:51 pm 

Let's round up this wheel truing story:
There are tons of articles in the mags and load of videos on YouTube on this topic. In fact I got pretty confused in the beginning, but in the end I could boil it down to one useable article (in the british "Classic Bike" mag) and one really good down-to-earth video on Youtube.

The take aways from from the mag and the video:

1. When the wheel is in your truing-stand in mounted in the forks, you start tighten the spokes, always do one complete round. You can start at where the hole for the valve is.
2. In the beginning, tighten every spoke an equal amount - like 1/4 of a turn. (IMPORTANT)
3. After each pass, take a look at your pointer or gauge.
4. Some tighten each and every spoke when they do a round / pass, Others only tighten every 4. spoke in one pass, and then move on to next set of four's. Some might think it gives you to much to keep track of. personal choise
5. When you start truing, start with taking out any radial slack first. When done continue to the sideways slack (most videos tend to forget mentioning this, and some only shows how to correct for sideways slack.

I found this video very useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seylmsPzAk
I'm not related to the guy / company in any way :)

The guy in the video has got a own-to-earth approach, and he makes a point out of saying, that it is important that all spokes has equal tension.

With your spoke wrench, tap 2-3 times on each spoke as you make a pass. From the sound you can easily hear if some spoke has less tension than others. Tighten these as you encounter them.

As I mentioned earlier, and also mentioned in the video, it's not easy to get a 40-50 years old rim running completely straight.
Of course if you start out with brand new repro rims, it's another game.

A good way of stressing yourself:
... using 2 dial-gauges at the same time!
Start with one, or better just a pointer. Gradually as your rims gets more a more true, you can swith to a dial-gauge, if you wish.

When your spokes are almost as tight as you like them - like 85% or so grab a punch and a small hammer, and hit each and every spoke, like this:

There a some motion blur on the hammer head, but you should be able to get an idea of its size, a small hammer will do nicely. The effect of doing this is, that the blow will move the head of the spoke a tiny little bit inwards, again making the spoke a little looser. When you have punched all spokes, make another last pass and tighten every spoke.
This trick will maintain the tension on the spoke for longer, making you do without an additional tightening after say 500 miles (hopefully)

VERY important: When finished tightening all spokes, any surplus thread which protudes out of the nipple, must be cut /grinded away, or you will inevitably have a puncture.

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:24 pm 

Long pause, sorry :oops: let's see if anyone still follows this thread...

Remember this box on page 3 in this thread:

I forgot to mention what was inside:

... a brand New Old Stock front brake drum for a 1969-70.

TA-DA

Bought on Ebay from MachIVMotors, and due to this, it wasn't even expensive:

My old front drum was close to service limit, and I wasn't very keen on having someone to machine out the worn steel band and crimp in new one.

From what I could read, some 60' -70' GM cars, as well as older Porsches (Speedsters, I think) have the same alloy drums with steel band inside, and I got the impresssion that they can be quite tricky to fix.
Of course the drums were made that way originally, but when say a machine shop makes the fix, they have to be damn sure of the tolerances, as the steel band will either become a loose fit, or be to tight (causing the alloy to crack).
So I disregarded this "solution" and whas very happy that I was able to get this drum :D :D

What do you guys with -69-70 models do ??

Not too far from me, there was this small machineshop, which specializes in welding alloy, and they had experiences from similar previous task. They price I paid could barely pay the coffee and donoughts for the 5-7 guys working in the shop.
While the shirt was already buttoned up, I chose the put in new bearings and seals too. After some spit and polish, it looked like this:

Forgot to mention, that it got some new linings too. Linings are somewhat softer than the hardest one,. In this way i hope to minimize the wear on the steel band:

Any experiences ??? - chime in, please :clap:

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:34 pm 

"The devil is in the details", I think it's about right. There sure are lots of bit needing attention, if you wanna end up with a result that you can be proud of.

It's amazing that a horn can consist of that many parts 8-) more than 20 bits if you include 5 screws and 2 paper thin gaskets. A far cry from modern electronics, as everything can be taken apart and reassembled.

It was the original Nikko, of the type only used for first 2-3 years, and I think it's cute, so I decided to give it a make over:

Everything worked fine, so just a quick cleaning and inspection:

Next small item is the fuel petcock:

Bike had been standing for 7 years im my garage, and probably some years before that. Just as expected, it looked awful, full of red, rust coloured gum:

It was a pig to clean, even with the use of my ultrasonic cleaner, but I managed.
New gaskets, springs diaphragm, screws etc.:
Not sure of the quality of those repro parts though :?
Functions of the petcock is crucical if you wanna avoid flooding the carbs.

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 am 

What is the brand of the ultrasonic cleaner you have?

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:04 am 

triple cranks wrote:
What is the brand of the ultrasonic cleaner you have?

Dunno - I think its some kinda proprietary brand sold by "BilTema" http://www.biltema.dk (a Scandaninavian store) but it seems to be out of stock now - just chekked.
Anyway, we use 230 Volts current here in Scandinavia, and the freight will be too expensive, I guess :D

But the takeaways are: it has a build-in heater, and the size of the thing makes it possible to hold a tripple cylinder head.
Temperature and duration can be adjusted digitially. The ultrasonic effect can be adjusted analogue
The heater is not very efficient though, so I pre-heat the water before I pour it in the cleaner.

Good hunting :)

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:04 am 

You sir are doing a beautiful job, please more photos !

I suspect a 75 Alpha spyder lurking

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next