Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:24 am 

Looks good :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:11 am 

kawi3cyl wrote:
Note the euro(?) plastic fender extension...no razzing please... :shh:

My crusty S2 has a short rear fender. I think it's a Canadian bike, the Euro fenders were longer, I think the early ones even had a reflector. :wtf: However I have never seen one, short or long, in plastic. :think:

It may be a long time before mine gets to the stage you're at Darrin, :oops: lookin' good! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:33 am 

Yeah, I only saw the chromed rear fender like yours, but this one is definitely shaped just like the steel version with the correctly positioned screw holes, but in plastic. Here's an image of an NOS one (not mine):
Bill, don't wait too long on your S2, it's already looks quite toasty as it sits...! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:25 am 

have one for 72 H2 (plastic rear mudguard) blue from the factory.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:35 pm 

When the time comes to title and register the S2, I don't really want to have 9,448 miles stated on the title, so after getting some helpful pointers from someone who had previously sold on eBay a restored S2 speedo, and after practicing opening up a worn, faded parts speedo, I went to work on my project speedo.
All that really holds the metal case and internals to the black plastic outer housing is the plastic that is curved over the rear of the metal casing (plus some dried up yellowish glue).
I was instructed to make cuts in the perimeter where it curves, and remove little pie shaped triangles, leaving enough material to later melt back down around the casing to secure when done. I removed squared-off sections instead of pie-cuts, but the concept is the same. You want to remove enough to free up the metal casing, in order to pry and wiggle out the metal casing assembly (as a whole). If you leave too much plastic around the perimeter, you end up having to force the casing out and will bend up the aluminum speedo face due to the greater angle needed to pry/wiggle out the assembly. (Try to remove material neater than shown here... :oops: ).
As I stated, you end up with two parts, the plastic lens/housing, and the complete speedo assembly. If you're speedo is in good shape, not all corroded or gummed up, all you have to do to remove the mileage wheel set is pull out the pair of copper clips on the spring end, push in the silver end "cap" to compress that spring, and the entire wheel assembly will pull out. Be extra careful not to lose the spring, end cap or slightly darker metal pin "guide" that fits into one end of the frame of the assembly. You can see the individual parts laying atop the speedo lens.
Anyway, once the wheel set is out, you can adjust one wheel at a time. I believe I ended up adjusting the wheel on the 10th's end first, and after that, while holding the black "clip" on that end, I worked my way leftwards, doing the same to each wheel one at a time. Again, you want to hold still the clips of the wheels you have just adjusted, while moving on to adjust the next wheel, otherwise you will change the first ones again. You'll see what I mean when you are doing it. Don't worry, you can just start over if you mess up the mileage you're shooting for.Image
Mileage set, assembly reinstalled in housing. Be sure the notch in each clip locks into the metal housing.
I used my plastic welder and added plastic to the gaps, and feathering into the surrounding plastic.
You'll need to sand the circumference enough to enable you to slide the black plastic rear cover when reassembling.
Although my plastic welding could have been neater, you won't see a whole lot when altogether especially when mounted on the bike.
Looks much better at 1000 than 9448. I personally chose 1000 instead of all 0's just in case the verifier at DMV was to make an issue over a 1972 motorcycle having no miles. Plus any miles I add later will be easy to keep track of by simply subtracting 1k. :D Be sure to use Loctite on the 2 dial face screws or they may vibrate loose.
Tools that were helpful for the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm 

Still working the ole gal I see. ;) speedo looks sharp. :thumbup: I wasn't worried too much with the mileage on mine. It had 13k I think when I opened it up. :think:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:17 pm 

Will you be going back red? I am looking for the closest shade of red to the 1972 S2 that I can find for mine and do not know where to start.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 pm 

usernameandpassword wrote:
Still working the ole gal I see. ;) speedo looks sharp. :thumbup: I wasn't worried too much with the mileage on mine. It had 13k I think when I opened it up. :think:

You put on a good amount of miles on your ride! :thumbup:
OutsiderS2-H1 wrote:
Will you be going back red? I am looking for the closest shade of red to the 1972 S2 that I can find for mine and do not know where to start.

No. I would like to paint this a modern Metallic Lime Green or similar, possibly the Mazda Spirited Green with original stripes but with a change of colors to better match the green.

Just got done drilling the added 2 oiling holes in preparation of the upcoming installation of a rebuilt 6-bearing crank. A 5/32" bit is pretty darn close to the oem holes. (I first used a 1/8" bit as a pilot hole).
Then I chamfered the upper area of the holes a little like the oem holes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 pm 

Keep up the very good work, Darrin.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:13 pm 

Gears and 6-bearing crank in place. Gears looked okay so simply reinstalled. I have since buttoned up the lower case as well, and it'll go back in the frame very soon along with any necessary mounting shims, then reinstallation of clutch, crank end gear, rotor and stator, etc.
Comparison of 6-bearing vs early 4-bearing:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next