Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1975 Dt400b
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:20 am 

I know it is not a twin but I`m hoping someone here can help as in the past I have found a wealth of knowledge on here.
So I got the bike as an import from US to Australia. It has a VAPE powerdynamo fitted. I have seen video of the bike running, but have not run it myself yet as I have been working on various components. Whereas the original magneto has two connectors with three wires each (red/white, red/green etc) and maybe another wire, the powerdynamo has only the three wires; red, white, brown which all go to the coil which is also a powerdynamo component, and 2 black wires which are not connected but seem to connect to a rectifier. This system is apparently 12 volt.
What I want to know is how can I have this system run into the wiring harness so as to run all the other systems on the bike ie; lights, battery, cdi unit etc. I can change all the bulbs to 12 volt from 6, but I can`t see how to wire up the new dynamo to the wiring harness, there aren`t enough wires and presumably the cdi is 6 volt anyway.? Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 1975 Dt400b
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:46 pm 

You should have an existing black/white wire (maybe different color on your bike, but the one that removes the ground when key switch is on) from your ignition switch, that'll connect to the blue wire on power dynamo coil and is the kill/engine off switch. The two black wires go to the power dynamo reg/rec, the brown and red go to your battery red + brown -. How it all connects is they connect to the battery along with the existing battery terminals which are connected to the rest of the bike.

yes to 12v so bulbs and battery required.

https://www.powerdynamo.biz/wiredias/73ik_102.pdf