Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:17 pm 

I am in the process of beginning the brake refurb on my RZ . The master cylinder was pretty nasty and the brakes are dragging. The calipers will come off soon to be cleaned well to include bead blasting the bodies and painting. Upon removal I noted two small holes side by side inside the master cylinder as depicted. The one on the right under the #2 is open and you can see the mechanism moving when you squeeze the brake lever. The other appears to not go anywhere? Or is it corroded closed or blocked?

Thanks in advance to any and all who reply.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:47 pm 

The other one has a tiny hole that goes through, and it's very important for that hole to be clear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 pm 

Off the top of my head, I think the other hole is a breather, it's a VERY small pin-hole.......... At least that is the case on Kawasaki (round) M/cylinders..... anyone else? :think: edit....Wot Jim said!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:01 pm 

That's the hole that ensures that there is no pressure left when you fully release the lever. It's also the one that didn't get uncovered when Jason installed a non-stock lever at Deals Gap this year. The next day, things warmed up, the brake dragged, things warmed up more, and it wasn't long until his front wheel locked, causing him to crash.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:35 pm 

New master cylinder it is then unless I can get it open. Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:10 pm 

I'd think you could get it open if you clean the indentation and then locate the hole and stick a small wire through it. Worst case you can use something like a #80 drill bit by hand.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:27 am 

I will give it a shot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:06 am 

I took my trusty Singer needle equipped GI sewing kit to the shop and the little hole is now open. So I think the stock master cylinder is saveable... I am also exploring other options after reading about some who have changed from the stock 16 mm to a 14 mm master for better feel..... Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:12 pm 

I use a single strand of small gauge electrical primary wire stranding to open those tiny holes. Nice thing is, you can use the single strand still in the insulation after stripping the insulation off the end of the wire, then selecting the one strand to use, and after use, put the strands back together and still use the wire for electrical stuff.

When I bleed a brake system, I do the normal pressure to the wheel cylinder to basic fill the entire system, then let the system sit for a time, allowing any air left in the system to rise within it. Then, I finish bleed through that tiny port all the remaining air. I hand hold the master with the lever end higher than the outlet, then gently pump the lever. Air will come out that hole if there is any left in the system. My 1986 Safari van has a factory 5 speed in it, and hydraulic actuated clutch. The master has cold weather issues, and I bleed it the same way, remove from firewall, tilt pedal end higher than output end, gently push piston, air evacuates through the pressure release port, back to 'works as new' again.

Jim is right on target, pressure release port. Wrong lever config, does exactly as he outlined, slip, slide, WHOA, whammo, crash, bang......ouch.