Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:58 pm 

Some videos of my DT100 at the go-kart track at VIR last Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzo1rsSzAaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0OczY3UOXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wrlyhQ4Ayg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9lLMHyQs7w

It was a fun, relaxed time with a bunch of great guys who teach riding on the big track, and came a day early to play on the little one. $40 for the whole day, so I'll be going back. Thanks Strokerface for letting me know about it, and hanging out with my daughter and me all day. Also thanks to my daughter for taking hundreds of photos and a dozen or so videos.

Last edited by Jim on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:23 pm 

That looks like fun!

I see you swapped out the front end, gaining a disk brake. What did you get the different front end from? Was the swap difficult?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:43 pm 

It's the stock front end. I made a disk carrier and bolted it to the right side of the stock hub. The caliper is from an EX250 (eBay), the disk is an eBay Honda CR125 one, and the master cylinder is a Chinese eBay EX250 replacement. The whole setup was under $100 for parts. Here's the side of the carrier that has a cone shape to mate with the right side of the hub:

The side that mates with the disk:

The disk sitting on the carrier:

Then I welded a caliper mount to the right fork slider. The fork brace bolts to the threaded bosses on the sliders and really stiffens things up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:50 pm 

Looks like a blast Jim!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:04 pm 

You'd have loved it, Barry.

Here are a few still photos that show Strokerface and me.

The way-off-camber uphill turn:

And Jim-Strokerface's minibike, of course:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:57 pm 

Jim

Sweeeeet !............that looks like big fun there..........and you are running them down.........that pipe sounds really good too.........neat little bike.........think I will get mine out this weekend !

THX Phil :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:03 pm 

I could pass some of them. Others were too good, and had too much power to pass. Strokerface ("GAAL" on his jacket) is an experienced racer with great technique, and I could stay with him when he let me stay with him. More engine mods are in the near future though. I haven't put the big carb on yet, and there's plenty more porting to play with. :D

I'll have the porting numbers for you, if you ever want to mess with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:10 pm 

That look looked like a very fun day. Let me hi jack your post Jim if I may. How does the ignition work on the DT.? Since the source coil is grounded by the points until the points open at the time ignition is needed, how does the ignition coil have time to build its electromotive field? I know this is the simplest of ignition but it doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:38 pm 

In this system, the magneto coil is the thing that develops the magnetic field from current flowing through the closed points. When the points open, that coil then makes a high voltage spike, trying to keep its current flowing. That spike causes the spark coil to do its thing.

The diode at the ignition coil lets the magneto coil contribute to headlight AC and battery charging on the other half it its cycle, when it's not needed for ignition. That diagram doesn't show it, but the magneto coil is part of the lighting and charging coils too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:30 am 

So it's the magnetic field at the source coil collapsing that introduces a spike into the primary of the ignition coil and the ignition coil steps that spike up to some Kvolt potential?
When I got ready to start my DT after rebuilding the engine i checked the ignition first and didn't have a spark. I started checking things and found the primary of the ignition coil open. I did not realize there was a diode in the coil. A new OEM coil was over a 100 bucks from Yamaha so I ordered a $10 coil from EBay. The EBay coil would not work either. I then discovered the OEM coil had a diode by looking at the shop manual. I rechecked the OEM coil and realized the diode was causing the infinity reading on my Fluke. It was the spark plug cap that was bad on the OEM coil. I used the cap off the EBay coil to fix the OEM. It makes a great spark now. I'm just surprised how this source coil ignition works. I figure $10 for a spark plug cap was a good lesson learned.

I got another question, what changes to the suspension have been made?