Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:58 am 

John, your coils story is pretty close to mine. My story started with finding a lawnmower coil dangling from the wires and connected to the spark plug. Luckily the original coil was still there and worked fine. The points were all messed up with the contacts burned off, so new points and condenser got it working. It has excellent spark, and I haven't done anything to the new plug I installed after two Deals Gap trips and a bunch of other running around.

Suspension:

18 x 1.85 rear rim laced to stock rear hub using OEM front spoke kit. (was 16")
Wheel bearings were shot, so I put new ones in
Front damper internals cleaned, and pasty mixture of water and what smelled exactly like differential oil replaced with SAE10
New fork seals and shields
90/90-18 Avon AM26 Roadrider tires front and rear (DOT approved version)
Rear springs from a set of Koni shocks I used to have on my H2 (required making some spacers for fit and preload)
1/2" front spring preload spacers (front and rear static sag now 20% with me on it)
Fork brace
Non-suspension, but I changed the 14t front sprocket to a 16t so it doesn't run out of powerband in 5th gear on the road.

The swing arm bushings are good, but I need to take it apart to clean/lube things sometime. The head bearings are OK, but I got a tapered roller All Balls set to put in. The Koni springs were too soft for the H2, but seem about perfect for this bike. The front springs work well now too. I think that's because my size puts most of my weight on the rear wheel. It would be nice to put a wider rim than the stock 1.4" on the front, but I haven't had any symptoms from the 90 size tire on it, so I'm not very concerned. I was in a hurry to get tires at the time, but if I ever replace these, I can probably find something good that is available in an 80 for the front, like maybe BT45s. The Roadriders are really good, sticky tires though, so I might not chance going to something else.

If you want dual sport tires, Strokerface says the Cornerspin riding course bikes use Bridgestone Trail Wing tires. That's what's on his Honda 150R in the videos and photos.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:19 am 

evansje1 wrote:

Ha, ha.. I just noticed an error in this diagram. They have the coil secondary completely shorted. The bottom should go to ground like the bottom of the primary.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 pm 

I should of mentioned that but I forgot. I assumed that was an error in the schematic. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm 

Have you worked on any porting with that thing Jim or is it all stock? I always wanted to one day go into my 360 engine and see what's capable with a reeded 72 cylinder. :D

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:44 pm 

Richard, stock exhaust duration was 160°. I raised it so it's 170° and widened it to 68% of the bore diameter. It made a big difference in the power band, taking it from hardly being able to tell when it got on the pipe to really obvious. Oddly, midrange torque was improved too.

Next it's getting a 25mm carb to replace the stock 22, and after that I'm going to increase the exhaust duration to 180° and take a look at transfer duration and blowdown. Check back late in the summer and I may have some information about the results. If I go too far, I have a spare cylinder, so I can back up.

The pipe is a Denco S2 design, with 15° of bend in the middle to make it fit right. A Denco S2 exhaust adapter fit the port and stud spacing perfectly, requiring only some I.D. matching.

A 360 is going to be a whole different can of worms, I bet, including a chamber bigger than a Denco H2 pipe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:23 am 

We're doing it again this Sunday. The track is open for practice from 9 AM to 2:30 pm when they have a reservation for a Kart group. Then if there are no more reservations before then, it's open from 3:00 on. Strokerface and I plan to be there sometime in the morning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:54 pm 

That looks like a lot of fun Jim. How did the DT do compared to the supermoto bikes?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:45 pm 

I would have been able to hang with the best of them, I think, if I had about 5 more HP. Especially right after that uphill turn, the bigger engines could accelerate away from me. Overall there were a couple I could pass, and several that could pass me. I meant to have a bigger carb and more exhaust duration by now, but the best plans...

My newly licensed daughter (the photographer) is going to take turns with me this time. I'm looking forward to her getting some practice with tight turns, braking, etc., in a low-danger environment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:48 pm 

That's cool. Were they all small bore supermotos or were there a couple of 450's there. Good deal with your daughter. By newly licensed do you mean turned 16 or new MC endorsement?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:38 pm 

They were generally small. It's a tight course, and I doubt if a big one would have much advantage. Strokerface's Honda is a 150, I believe. I'll have to pay attention to displacement Sunday and see what I'm up against.

I think I said this above, but everyone was really friendly about the whole thing. If you wanted to pass someone, he'd pull over and wave you by, rather than trying to keep you behind him. It was all about learning and having fun, since almost all the riders were instructors from the Cornerspeed school.