Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:53 pm 

After the RD left me along side the road again and caused me to take the trailer ride of shame to the house a week or 2 ago I decided to order a 20 amp manual reset equipment circuit breaker from the parts store for trouble shooting and possible permanent replacement of the fuse. Initial test was good. I was able to power up the bike and it didnt pop so that is a step in the right direction. Next rainy day or whenever I can find the time troubleshooting will continue.... I hate electrical demons

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:09 pm 

I like a breaker a lot better than a fuse. When something goes wrong out on the road, a breaker makes it a lot easier to get things going well enough to get home. And the manual reset type is the right kind to get.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:24 pm 

The usual suspects are poor ground connections or frayed wires with exposed metal touching each other.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:37 pm 

Good solution to keep from being towed home. Good luck, they are hard to find.

Lane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:35 pm 

Disassembly continues. The source of the short is yet to be determined... Tank is off and next to come off are the instrument covers....

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:56 pm 

i always thought it was a shitty place to have all the wires/looms meet up in the headlight bucket .
but they all seem to use this location. :banghead

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:40 pm 

Here's what caused my electrical demons earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9703&start=10#p95340

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:20 am 

two-stroke-brit wrote:
i always thought it was a shitty place to have all the wires/looms meet up in the headlight bucket .
but they all seem to use this location. :banghead

I agree. Soon after purchasing my bike, I found an intermittent short in my headlight bucket as well. What a mess those wires are in there. I attempted to clean up the way they are positioned and bundle some together inside, but it is like putting 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag. :roll:

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:22 am 

On a lot of earlier bikes with the wiring continuing through a hole/holes in the headlight, there were usually rubber "donuts" in the holes, to stop chafing and wire insulation from rubbing off. These 'insulators" will always rubber rot, fall off, get cut, compromised in some way, and then problems can get worse in one quick hurry. The actual holes in the metal have the edges rounded off, so, in effect, the wires shouldn't chafe and fail, but, they do.

I completely agree on circuit breakers, and I try to use them as much as possible on all my vehicle projects, motorcycle, car, truck, whatever.

One thing I have seen on a lot of our earlier triples and R/RD bikes is that early rear brake light switches can lose the plastic insulator on the pull piston, shorting the feed wire to direct ground when the rear brake was applied. The volt path would be through the feed wire, to the contact terminal, to ground through the brake light switch over-pull spring. Of course, the fuse would blow ASAP. Those switches were easily disassembled, and new insulators could be fabricated very simply, so, the switches could be rebuilt, with better insulating bushings. When I did this in the beginning, I also added an inline fuse and holder in the rear brake light feed wire, so if the switch had another grounding issue, it wouldn't kill the entire bike's power.

These early switches had threaded mounts/adjusters that were metal, with an insulator disk on each side of the holder nuts, to keep the switch from grounding on its threads in the frame boss. Later switches were all plastic on their mounting/adjustment threads. The later plastic switches could still fail if the pull-stud insulator inside them was compromised, too, through the pull spring to brake lever ground.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:42 pm 

I always thought that RD's electrical systems sucked. Something is always "goofy" with them. I've never had more problems with charging systems on old bikes then with stock RD's.

That said, I just spent an entire weekend troubleshooting and repairing the wiring loom on a KTM 640 Adventure. The KTM wiring is undersized, under-insulated, poorly routed and even more poorly secured.

I kid you not, I fixed 20 different sections where bare wires rubbed through and were pinched.

Working on an RD350 is a dream compared to these nightmares......

In the end Tim, it will probably be something "stupid" and cost $.01 to fix. Just sucks getting to that point.

I wish you the best!!!